Thread: Broke down and ordered SPAL Stage 2 Fans

Default Broke down and ordered SPAL Stage 2 Fans

In the last couple of weeks, I've been fighting an over heating problem with the AC on. I've already got an Alum Radiator, so I just had to resign myself to buy the Spal fans. So I did it. I should get them in next week.

Hopefully this will end my heating problems.

td
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

*cough* thermostat *cough* I put a 185 degree one in the blue miata before I sold it... worked like a champ. Gonna do that to the B&T one soon.

And do you have the plastic pan under your engine compartment? If not... order one! That helps direct the airflow through the compartment.

Also, even though you put a new radiator in, when's the last time you flushed the system?

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

oh yeah, check your fan switch too if you are overheating when the car isn't moving... maybe your fans aren't coming on soon enough.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

oh yeah, check your fan switch too if you are overheating when the car isn't moving... maybe your fans aren't coming on soon enough.
    Fans are wired in parallel and both come on together, and are both functioning fine. I wired them in parallel last summer. I think they just don't pull enough air through the larger radiator, A/C condenser, and the InnerCooler when the A/C is producing extra BTU's.
    cough* thermostat *cough* I put a 185 degree one in the blue miata before I sold it... worked like a champ. Gonna do that to the B&T one soon.
    Been there done that, I put in the 185 (or was it 180f) t-stat last summer before the radiator.
    And do you have the plastic pan under your engine compartment? If not... order one! That helps direct the airflow through the compartment
    Nope, my plate is custom built Aluminum. I built and designed it as the plastic didn't catch enough air. I'll post pics someday.
    Also, even though you put a new radiator in, when's the last time you flushed the system?
    Flushed it when I put the T-stat in, then again when I put the radiator in. I haven't this year, but I put the radiator in at the end of summer last year, as I was fighting overheating problems last summer with the A/C on. I thought the radiator was going to finally fix it, but it had allready cooled off to much by September to test it fully. However, the last week or two have pushed the cooling system to its limits again. Beleave me, I'd love to fix it another way and save the $408, but I've tried everything except the reverse flow method, of which I'm not too fond of. As it is, I don't want to let my wife drive it as I'm afraid she won't be as attentive to the temps and may let it overheat. I figure this is cheap insurance, vs. a new engine and a ton of work.

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

How many more CFM do the SPAL fans move vs. the stock fans?

They claim 34% more air flow. I don't know what the stock fans move, but the SPAL stage two are 1975cfm, and 1650cfm.

My heating problem is not severe, so I'm thinking that the extra airflow will work. This I do know, the air that the fans pull out of the radiator is very HOT.

TD