Thread: Ebay Question

Default Ebay Question

Hey guys, I figured this would be a good bull question. I was trying to sell my midpipe on ebay, and it didnt make my reserve. So a guy writes me and says hey, if you still want to sell it let me know. So I told him 150 plus shipping. He said he would depending on shipping cost. Would you guys sell it outside of ebay like that. What are the risks even if I use paypal. Can he come back and get pay pal to take the money back? I am not going to take a money order.

Thanks for the help. I have bought and sold from Miata.net classifieds, and locally, but it seems to me most people are a little more trustworthy in those cases. Ebay I am not so sure about. So any tips you have to keep me from getting screwed would be great.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It's a better deal for you since you don't have to pay Ebay their cut. I've done the same thing in the past. Even ended auctions early because someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. BTW, once the money is in your PayPal account, he can't take it back. Even a money order is risk free on your part and you don't have to give PayPal a cut. Being the seller puts you in the driver seat. It's the buyer who's taking a risk trusting you. Go for it!

Uh yes he can get it back... he can file fraud with PayPal and they can freeze your account...

If you already pull the money out... they can pull it from whatever CC or checking account you have associated with it...

Granted - those are worst case scenarios... Just use some kind of signature for shipping and you'll have something to protect yourself with.

I've used PayPal for a few years and haven't had any problems of these kinds... but I track all my shipments... no matter how small.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Two things, I already paid my cut, because it was a reserve auction, but I didnt pay all of it right? Also, what about fake money orders? All that nigerian BS. Second, I should wait until I have the money and all is clear. If he doesnt go for that it is a no go. Right? I am just worried that he could email paypal and say it wasnt the right part blah blah. And they could seize the money.

Edit: In reply to Channelmaniac, so I should make a signature required shipment?

Also I had my RB header shipped to me with out a box, just a tag ziptied to the header and sticker with the shpping info on it. This would seem like a legitimate way to ship something as loarge as a mid pipe right?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Two things, I already paid my cut, because it was a reserve auction, but I didnt pay all of it right? Also, what about fake money orders?
    All you owe Ebay at this point is the 'insertion fee', but they would have got a cut of your final selling price as well, as would PayPal. If you're worried about fake money orders ask for a US Postal Service money order.

Uh yes he can get it back... he can file fraud with PayPal and they can freeze your account...

Good luck getting PayPal to freeze an account and/or take any action on anyone's behalf. Trust me! If you're really worried about getting ripped-off, ask for a personal check and tell him you'll ship the pipe after it clears your bank.