Thread: 2006 bilstein shocks & springs on a 1999?

Default 2006 bilstein shocks & springs on a 1999?

Here is the question; will the bilstein shocks & springs taken from a brand new 2006 MX-5 Miata (Sport model with sport suspension), fit a 1999? I am looking for new shocks and may have found a set of these.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

I would wager no. I am guessing that it is a different suspension setup. They might be close but I bet the mounting points will be different.

I'll keep looking, I found these on Miata.net and was hoping. I'm wanting shock's and springs. I don't race, but love a good corner every now and then---OK all the time! I'm trying to find a set-up that lowers it an inch.
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

You will find most of the people here use KYB AGX shocks. They can be picked up brand new on ebay for a little over 300. As for springs there are a couple of us that use FM springs. They seem to be a good mix for lowering the car, handling and ride. I have heard the racing beat springs are too soft for some people.

I just gave a quick measurement using FM's numbers and that combo will drop mine exactly one inch. Now I'm looking at the sway bars. I need to be carefull, I haven't changed a set of shocks of springs sense the late 70's!! Edit: The reference to "to soft for some people", was this on the street or track?
    My old 99' My new 99'

The geometry on the 2006 is all new, so it is highly unlikey that they will fit. Also, the 2006's look like they are 4WD, they sit so high, that even if they fit, your Miata would be even higher. Koni makes a good, adjustable shock that has adjustable perches that allows dropping the car without going to aftermarket springs.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Koni makes a good, adjustable shock that has adjustable perches that allows dropping the car without going to aftermarket springs.
    Except that he's looking for shocks for a '99. the NB ('99-'05) Koni Sports do not have adjustable spring perches. They are set at one height only.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy
    I just gave a quick measurement using FM's numbers and that combo will drop mine exactly one inch. Now I'm looking at the sway bars. I need to be carefull, I haven't changed a set of shocks of springs sense the late 70's!! Edit: The reference to "to soft for some people", was this on the street or track?
    The "too soft" becomes most apparent on the street where those springs aren't stiff enough to keep the car off the bump stops. Majik and I both have cars the ride great, clear most speed bumps and respond quickly to steering inputs on the FM Spring/KYB combo. I'm running an FM bar in the front and NO bar in the rear currently. Makes for a well balanced car. Somewhere around here we have a photo comparison of my car at the stock ride height and with the FM springs. When you get ready to do the swap, we have a number of people with LOTS of experience swapping out springs/shocks.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Thank you for the responses. I ordered the KYB AJX and FM Springs combo Sunday night. I decided to wait on the bars to see how it feels. I sent Black Roadster a email this morning for assistance on the install, any and all help is welcome! Here is a story for ya',
    Three weeks ago I went to Montana, beautiful weather all the way then-snowstorm! Little SilverToy and I took a trip into the median and had to be towed out. She got a bump on her nose but actually handled the off road excursion better than I expected! She's a tough little thing!
    See pictures here--->www.cardomain.com/ride/2233652
    My old 99' My new 99'