Thread: Clutch went soft

Default Clutch went soft

Went out this morning and darn near stuck my foot through the floor board when I pushed the clutch in. No clutch engagement, no start.

I guess I need to find a book on my 99. I've had it since March but I've never had a problem or had to do anything except change oil, filters, etc.
    The clutch appears to be hydraulic, (small reservoir to the outside of the brake master cylinder.) The reservoir is about an inch and a half around and about that tall…..
    Am I headed in the right direction?
    On the cap it states use DOT 3 fluid only but says nothing about it being a clutch reservoir, but what else could it be?
    The fluid level is barely above the low mark of the reservoir......
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

There must be a leak in the system. I would check the slave cylinder on the side of the tranny.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    There must be a leak in the system. I would check the slave cylinder on the side of the tranny.

I was just chasing down the tubing and it looks like the slave has a slight leak. Is it easier, or better to simply replace the slave or to rebuild it?
    (I used to be in mechanics in the 70's).
    I don't know where to go to get parts around here....
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

Buy the rebuild kit. Only 7 bucks a O'Reilly's. Simple job. No reason to buy a new one for 10X the cost
    Last edited by 2K Miata; 02-16-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Crisford
    I was just chasing down the tubing and it looks like the slave has a slight leak. Is it easier, or better to simply replace the slave or to rebuild it?
    (I used to be in mechanics in the 70's).
    I don't know where to go to get parts around here....
    I think it's a pretty common and inexpensive part, I think. You would probably be better off just buying a new one.

Steer clear of the local dealerships as far as parts because of high prices, but I guess it just depends on how quickly you need the part.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Steer clear of the local dealerships as far as parts because of high prices..........
    I've got the old Burb to run around in. I just miss my baby and the way she turns me on. She'll be back on the road in the next few days though.
    Thanks for your time.
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata
    Buy the rebuild kit. Only 7 bucks a O'Reilly's. Simple job. No reason to buy a new one for 10X the cost
    If the bore of the slave cylinder is at all pitted, the rebuild kit won't fix your problem. Just an FYI.

Went to O'Reilly's and order the slave, $32 bucks. It'll be a done deal by Saturday afternoon.
    Thanks for your info guys!
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX

10x???

I found one at O'Reilly's for under $30... and if you check your local O'Reilly's they can tell you which store nearby has 'em in stock... I had to drive to Grapevine to pick up the replacment for the Spec. Beats waiting.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Except that a new Mazda slave cylinder is only $15-20.

If you want to spend an hour or two rebuilding it to save $10, go for it. Me, I throw the old one away and buy a new one.

Edit: $32!? Man, you guys really need to join Mazdacomp!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Edit: $32!? Man, you guys really need to join Mazdacomp!
    I take it you haven't bought one in a while Sparky.

NA01-41-920B - RELSE CYL $46.35

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I take it you haven't bought one in a while Sparky.

NA01-41-920B - RELSE CYL $46.35

I know the last one I bought was less than $20.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Go ahead and get a rebuild kit for your old one if after you take it off the bore still looks good. Thats a part that it never hurts to have a spare of.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

We've done over a dozen of these at the Dog House and never have had one that couldn't be fixed with a rebuild. Not one of them had pitting or rust in the bore. Takes 2 minutes to switch out the parts.

I thought you guys were all cheap bastards. But hey go waste the extra money on a new one if yah want to.

But keep the old one as a backup and rebuild it for when it goes bad again. Seems they last only 3-4 years.

OBTW I was off on the price, not 10X but 4-5X. So go ahead and sue me for the difference CM

Looks like I'll be buyin a rebuild kit too, imagine my surprise one day when I'm on beltline and lose my clutch, pull over and have an empty resivoir too, refilled it with the spare dot3 I keep in the trunk but now I got some air in the tube and need to bleed the whole thing.

p0w3r shifting rul3z...
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

We've done over a dozen of these at the Dog House and never have had one that couldn't be fixed with a rebuild. Not one of them had pitting or rust in the bore. Takes 2 minutes to switch out the parts.

I thought you guys were all cheap bastards. ...........

Hey guys, I'll get the old one rebuilt here in a few weeks and I'll let you have it for lets say........$25.........and I'll guarantee it..
    David
    99 Red and Tan Home
    Waxahachie, TX