Thread: Changing the Oil Filter

Default Changing the Oil Filter

Other than stuffing newspaper paper around the filter before you remove it has anyone come up with a better way to minimize spilling the oil out of the filter when you remove it?? Drives me crazy to have to pressure wash the engine after every oil change or to live with the "2 day drip" as the spilled oil works itself out of the engine compartment.

TIA

I put a baby diaper on the subframe, that usually catches and hold the oil that drips out. I pull the filter out from the top. Then I just use blue shop towels to clean up the few drips that got on the block.

Hey, Majik, what brand baby diaper do you use?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

I just hold a shop towel to the engine while I am taking out the old filter and putting the new one on.
    99 Miata Black

Newspapers won't absorb as well as some wads of paper towel or those blue paper shop towels.

Other than a remote oil filter kit I know of no better way. One of the dumber designs of the Miata but probably due to the fact that it was a FWD designed block.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Meh, I just ended up busting out the pressure washer, cleaned the garage & cleaned the car.....

I guess Majik isn't going to take my bait. But he actually has a good idea, assuming the diapers are able to absorb oil as good as they absorb pee. I'll swear some of the diapers I took off my grandaughter in the past year were so heavy they must have been holding 2 or 3 quarts! They didn't make 'em like that back when her daddy was wearin' them!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

I made this oil chute out of aluminum when I got my first Miata in 1995. It is 19 1/2 inches long and 5 inches wide at the widest point and is bent lengthwise into a slight V shape. It is inserted under the filter base and is held in by friction created by folding the top over about a quarter of an inch. The top is 3 1/2 inches wide made by cutting an angle as you can see in the picture. With the car up on Rhino ramps I lay with my head facing the rear of the car, stick my arm behind the passenger front wheel and insert it under the filter base, that is why you need the angle cut at the top. Stick a small oil pan under the end and you have no more oily messes to clean up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 Sport - Stormy Blue Mica - No mods yet

Default drip drip

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    ...a remote oil filter kit I know of no better way.
    has anyone ever had any oil leaks because of this remote?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    I guess Majik isn't going to take my bait. But he actually has a good idea, assuming the diapers are able to absorb oil as good as they absorb pee. I'll swear some of the diapers I took off my grandaughter in the past year were so heavy they must have been holding 2 or 3 quarts! They didn't make 'em like that back when her daddy was wearin' them!
    You think I am going to give away a secret like that? Actually for some reason, my mom had a ton of extra diapers laying around. My brother is 16, so who knows why. She says she isnt a packrat, but I know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    has anyone ever had any oil leaks because of this remote?
    It depends on the remote kit... If you have the firewall mounting type you need to route the oil lines carefully around the AC lines. They could chafe and end up leaking.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!