Thread: Got Hit (Long)

Default Got Hit (Long)

Well first the good news, I'm ok and didn't get hurt,
    just a little sore.

Now the bad news, the miata is probaly totaled.

A taxi ran a stoplight and hit me. I swerved at the
    last second and minimized the damage. His impala
    barely got scratched (comparitevly) and my whole front
    right got knocked in and busted the radiator. He is
    fighting it and saying I ran the red.

I haven't had a chance to look at the car in day
    light, but this really really sucks. The intercooler
    probaly got bent and/or cracked. It and the radiator
    are probaly the only non salvagable parts. I'm sure
    most of you know how much the intercooler costs.
    Hopefully the insurance will cover all the aftermarket
    parts, but that is being really optimistic. Mentally
    adding all of the aftermarket stuff I had, it is a
    little over $3K. Which is about blue book for the car.

This means I'll have to pull everything off before
    they can salvage it and before I can get the money to
    pay it off. I am going to try to find another nice
    1.6, but I am staying open to all possiblities
    including a cheap M2 (Sport).

So everyone keep your eyes out for any miatas for
    sale. And I might have for items for sale soon to.

Chris

Man that sucks!

I'm glad your OK!

Same here. Hope it all works out for you Chris.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to hear that Chris , but glad you are OK. Keep us posted!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Too many cars; too few drivers.

Man I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope things work our for you.

Keep us posted.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Sorry to hear about that, Chris. Hope it all works out for you.

Was this in Arlington?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yeah. At Mequite and Center street, just south of the 7-11.

Thanks for the warm wishes,
    Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Let me know if you need any help or anything. I've been looking at a few Miata's lately.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Did you get any witnesses? I wouldn't even think about finding any until later when the loser comes up with his bogus story. He's just trying to protect his income, but sounds like he needs to be off the streets and into another career.

Sorry about the car, and good luck finding the next one and dealing with insurance....
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

Well I talked to the bank. I might have trouble getting a older Miata this time. They will only loan for the latest a 99. I might have to take the insurance money and run with it for another cheap miata.

If I get a 99, I might have to sell a bunch of M1 stuff. Still waiting on insurance.
    HMMM

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Well Chris how are things shaping up for you? Have you come up with a replacement for the Miata?

Well I wasn't able to do anything for the two weeks that I was at my annual training in Houston (didn't get to see the President, did get to see AF 1 though).

Now the insurance company got back to me about my receipts I gave them for the turbo and all my other mods, turbo, intercooler, top, tokicos, exhaust, brakes, and other nick nacks. She said everything except the turbo and exhaust were required items for maintence . She then proceeded to tell me that the turbo and intercooler, with a receipt total of over 3K, that they could only give me $128 for it (less than 5% of the original value. She then proceeded to tell me she could only give me 20 bucks for the exhaust ($300 receipt).

She explained that this was because I had not told them about the items before I had modified the car. I then told her I wanted to talk to her boss. Well I talked to him and he said hopefully we can work something out b/c he was a "car guy" too . First he asked me if I ever street raced, to which I responded with a simple "no, never". He then asked me why I had turbo charged the miata then, I replied that I was an engineering student and interested in the sort of stuff. These were obviously not the answers he was looking for. If I had answered yes, I wonder how it would have effected my claim or if they would've just dropped me on the spot. Either way, it seems like a really sneaky way of doing bussiness. Now the guy says he has to re-evaluate the car condition, salvage value (which was 200 before I talked to him, can't beat that), and all my receipts.

I only want the extra money for the intercooler, which is a little over a grand. I'll even settle on the price they wanna give me for the car, about 2500 after salvage is taken out. Hopefully this will get settled soon. My GF's mom wants the car out of her driveway within 2 weeks.

Chris

If it helps, I got $4500 for my 91 when it was totalled. Wonder what they would do if you showed them that paperwork?
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Posted FS topic in classifieds.

Thanks for the info Adam.

Chris