Thread: Lone Star BMW Event #1 - Mineral Wells, 3/11

Default Lone Star BMW Event #1 - Mineral Wells, 3/11

Who's in?

I saw Tom was registered(under the wrong class I might add.... unless you have something larger than 2.1liters that we don't know about... you should be X not Y class)

I'm obviously in, but not in the wrong class. I'm bumped up to the next highest class due to the R-comp tires.
    I wish I had a larger engine. R-comps or FI will bump you a class. So if you've got both, you'd have to run in Z with the Vettes.

I'll gladly run in X with you if nobody complains, but I'd doubt that would be the case.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Ah I didn't realize that you got bumped a class due to that. Oh well It'll still be fun... and hopefully you can give the Stooks a run for their money

Link?

If the weather forecast for Sunday continues to deteriorate, I might be game for this event.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto

Yup. I know The guy that runs it personally(Donovan Brown) from the BMW club down in Houston, so sign up!

Iain,
    If you're coming let me know so I can bring you your Ebay coilovers.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    Iain,
    If you're coming let me know so I can bring you your Ebay coilovers.
    Yeah, I'm out. I was thinking about coming out and running the street tires, but UPS decided to deliver them to someone else.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Bolix, good to meet you today! I wish we would have had more time to talk but working different heats didn't really help anything.

So I'm happy with the CSP setup. The suspension worked great and helped keep me in the running against a lot of faster cars. I ended up in 2nd place in Y class running against an STI, S2000, G35 coupe, and a RX-8. So the real kicker is that the Yoko R-comps were pretty much toast after the PCA school. I ended up running my street tires (Hankooks) in the afternoon and actually got my fastest time of the day on street tires. One of the rear Yokos was corded after the morning.

The course really looked like a high horsepower course when I first saw it but there were enough corners for me to carry a lot of speed and catch up with the more powerful cars.

If any of you guys are looking for some highspeed stuff you should check out a BMWCCA event. I think I heard Bolix bouncing off the 3rd gear rev limiter at the end of the long straight.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I went to the BMW event today also. Talked with Bolix, but did not get to talk with Miatamoto. The course was fast. There were timing problems on two of my runs, so I don't know how I did. I was most likely DFL. I think Bolix and I were the only stock cars in X class, and he was faster that me.

Driving back to Houston that night was pretty tough... soooo tempting to drive faster haha.

I did pretty well, and I think after all of the timing issues and stuff I got 2nd or 3rd which wasn't bad at all I thought. Best time I think was a 122.xx if my memory serves me correctly. Especially considering I had just changed my setup a bit the day before lol. I took off my rear-bar entirely and set my front one to the tight setting(15/16" RB bar) and running street tires.

I did hit the rev limiter a couple times in 3rd on that looong straight. I was over 80MPH every single time :o

I got some in car video but the file sizes are huge so I need to get off my arse and encode them for you guys so you can nit pick my driving lol.

Great to meet Cone-Cerned and Miatamoto.

Ok I got the videos up. I had to compress them a bunch to make them a reasonable file size... they aren't my best laps but they are alright. The first video is cut off becuase I ran out of memory card space I don't have a picture of the course map but it's just a scaled down version of the Dubai Aerodome track, pretty cool.

Video 1:
    http://media.putfile.com/Mineral-Wells-1

Video 2:
    http://media.putfile.com/Mineral-Wells-2
    Last edited by Bolix; 03-17-2006 at 01:08 AM.

Nice! Thanks for posting the videos.

That was a really fun course. I ended up running a 113.0 in the afternoon on the Hankook RS-2s.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub