Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifting is coming to North Texas

Default Drifting is coming to North Texas

Texas Drift.

First event to be held at Pennington Field on Sunday, February 29th. Looks like they've got eight events scheduled there this year. Wonder how long it'll be before we lose that site for autocrossing? :P

OK, I'll admit it, I actually do find drifting kind of interesting. I have no interest in participating (I spend enough money on tires every year as it is ), but I'm vaguely interested in going to watch this event, at least for a little while. And from a safe distance.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Based on the very little I know about this sport, it seems rough concrete would be the last place they would use.
    What am I missing?

Morbid curiousity is going to make it awfully tough to not go watch... It looks like a lot of fun to me!

Who is running these drifting events? Where did you see a calendar? This could be bad news for Pennington. But then again don't all FS cars drift. Well I did when I drove FS. :)

Default Re: Drifting is coming to North Texas

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    First event to be held at Pennington Field on Sunday, February 29th. Looks like they've got eight events scheduled there this year. Wonder how long it'll be before we lose that site for autocrossing? :P

Iain
    From my very limited knowledge of the sport, I would think a drifting event would create more car noise than an Autocross. Wouldn’t that be a safe assumption?

Mick

Ok how about a free internet game to practice your drifting. It is a flash game. Wish they wrote one for autocrossing.
    Drifting game

Thanks for the new addiction.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Ok how about a free internet game to practice your drifting. It is a flash game. Wish they wrote one for autocrossing.
    Drifting game

Well, if I can get a pass from home (remember, the day before that we'll all be out at the Mineralring at the NTS2KOC autocross), I'll come out to watch for a little while. I have similar concerns* as altiain, but I'd like to see what it's all about. I'm also not interested in participating, but I'd like to see how organized this is...

* I'm alittle afraid that the noise and "out-of-control" feel will cause someone in the neighborhood to complain. This will bring additional unwanted attention to any motorsport events, and my guess is the "City Fathers" won't make a distinction between Autocross and Drifting when they pen the "Anti-Motorsports Ordinance" .

I'm also equally concerned that drifting will be considerably harder on the surface than autocross. After a couple of events, Penningtion Field folks may see that it's tearing up their parking lot and ban motorsports events (again, lumping Autocross and Drifting together).

Don't misunderstand -- I don't have any issues with Drifting. If people want to do that in a controlled, safe environment, more power to them . And I hope it works out.

I was surfin the pointy board and came across this post aboiut a meeting these guys are having before the event.

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimateb...;f=40;t=000529

Philly Steak and Deli is directly across the street from my world headquarter here in beautiful Euless, Texas! Kinda Wild!

Interesting that altiain chose to put this thread in the "Bull" section... the section that is "Not remotely car, track or driver related" topics .
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Interesting that altiain chose to put this thread in the "Bull" section... the section that is "Not remotely car, track or driver related" topics .
    Well, it ain't autocross, drag racing, or track racing. And we don't have a section for "Motorized Ice Dancing". :P

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Well, it ain't autocross, drag racing, or track racing. And we don't have a section for "Motorized Ice Dancing". :P

Iain

Anyone here thinkin' 'bout giving it a try? I'm likely to go have a look, but I'm not terribly interested in the whole concept. But I'm guessing there are some folks on this board that will find this to be right up their alley...

Anyone here thinkin' 'bout giving it a try? I'm likely to go have a look, but I'm not terribly interested in the whole concept. But I'm guessing there are some folks on this board that will find this to be right up their alley...
    I'm defiantly going to try and find some time on the 28th to go see what they are doing. Although I imagine it will be like watching at an autocross.

Looking at the rules, I can't play in my Miata since -All convertible cars must have a four-point roll bar. Factory roll hoops are not sufficient. Refer to CCR for roll bar specifics.

But there is still hope for me since they also say -Trucks and SUV vehicles are allowed, providing they do not pose too significant a rollover risk threat (increased ride height, large tires, etc.). Time to dust off the Expedition! :P

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Time to dust off the Expedition! :P
    Personally, I was thinking the Caddy would make a great drifter... :afro:

Iain
    Iain

I'm planning to go out to this in the morning, just to check it out (well, not early morning... probably something like 11:00am). I'll hang out for a couple of hours and then head back home. I just want to see what it's all about, and see how organized and controlled it is.

Anyone else thinking of coming out to watch?

I'm planning to go out to this in the morning, just to check it out (well, not early morning... probably something like 11:00am). I'll hang out for a couple of hours and then head back home. I just want to see what it's all about, and see how organized and controlled it is.

I'll bring some wine & cheese! I also plan to take a peek! I'd bet they are going to be a ton of spectators!

I saw this note on Miata.net http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimateb...;f=40;t=000543

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I have to work this Sunday, but we don't start until noon. I could be there around 11'ish and watch for an hour or so. Maybe we could all meet in those small parking lots just north of Pennington. Who's in

I'm hoping to stop by for a little while, but I don't think I'll be there too early - my neighbor down the street is throwing a big suprise bash for her husband's 30th birthday Saturday night, and I like going to parties where I can walk home.

Iain
    Iain

I was out at Pennington about 8:00 this morning just before the line of Rain went through; there were just 4 cars. One was a White Miata with a carbon Fiber hood, I know the guy but I can't recall his name.......

They had some cones out, but it wasn't looking good for an AM drift session....

The http://www.texasdrift.com/ website shows :
    Inaugural Event on February 29, 2004

**EVENT IS ON - RAIN OR SHINE**

Registration opens at 8:00 AM

Drifting will begin at 9:00 AM

1 day of Drifting - $50.00 9AM - 6 PM

Isn't drifting easier when it's wet? My "drifting" experience has been screwing around when it's wet or after a snow in a parking lot.... Could this even improve the event (except for the spectators in the rain)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast