Thread: Radio Installation

Question Radio Installation

To start with, I have a Bose system in my 01. This HU runs power to two separate 100Watt amps that power the Bose speakers in the doors...

Well research only confused me because i'm not familiar with all the terminalogy used so i'm hoping someone can explain this in simple language.

After purchasing a Pioneer DEH-445 AM/FM/CD I installed it with a harness and everything worked fine except no audio from my car speakers. I connected the same HU on another car and speaker outputs are fine, everything works fine. So i'm guessing the Bose HU has to run power for the amps powering the door speakers... without power, shouldn't I atleast hear some sound?

I installed my Bose HU again and its working fine.
    Has anybody dealt with this before?
    Any suggestions that could save me time and money?
    Maybe some cheap place i can take it to get it installed as a last resort?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

The Bose speakers are very very very low resistance speakers... Your amps probably don't like them.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

From what I hear you have to take out all of the bose stuff. Amps and speakers. Then install all new. Its called a bosectomy, search for that.

YES you have to take out all the Bose....I did!
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

I have a pioneer that I installed in my 05 MSM and I still have the Bose speakers. Make sure that you hooked up the blue lead for the auxilary power amp. Otherwise, there is a Bose amp bypass unit you can get from a local stereo shop.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Default Bosectomy?

yeah the blue lead is going to the amp, but i haven't installed my amp yet. I'm only working on the stereo... i did the research and most have gotten rid of the entire Bose system (bosectomy)... but i really don't wanna do that much.
    Radio-Active, can you explain how yours is working on the MSM? Is there a way to feed power to the Bose amps from the HU so they work, i know i'll have to lower the levels, or balance the front speakers lower than the rears (even though I'm not using rears)...
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Default Re: Bose

Hey guys...my '01 Bose CD player has started skipping like a big dog...tried the cheap route of buying a lens cleaner, but no luck...Then I started shopping for upgrades and was disheartened by the prices...anyone know if replacement units are still available for the Bose from the factory/dealership/other sources??
    What if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about???

Have ya tried Ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by roadsoundlover
    Hey guys...my '01 Bose CD player has started skipping like a big dog...tried the cheap route of buying a lens cleaner, but no luck...Then I started shopping for upgrades and was disheartened by the prices...anyone know if replacement units are still available for the Bose from the factory/dealership/other sources??
    I have everything but the speakers...out of my 99
    Make me an offer....
    Jerry
    I'll be here til about 2:30 this afternoon. I work evenings
    817-729-7360

Default jerry

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    I have everything but the speakers...out of my 99
    Make me an offer....
    Jerry
    I'll be here til about 2:30 this afternoon. I work evenings
    817-729-7360

Jerry, could you pm a price for the door speakers?

I guess you didn't read close enough...I don't have the speakers. Sorry!

I agree with Majik, from everything I have read the speakers WILL NOT work with any other head unit, none of Bose's stuff is compatible with other audio equipment (at least where the miata stereo is concerned).
    I may be wrong but, I am pretty sure you have to replace everything.
    99 Miata Black

I sure hope someone doesn't tell my Pioneer head unit or Bose speakers this.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

on my 91 maxima SE, i just bypassed the bose amps and used those ROCKIN bose speakers with my eclipse head unit.