Thread: When Money is No Object

Default When Money is No Object

Wow!

When it comes to a segment of the automotive aftermarket as broad and rich as street machines (which potentially covers any modified post-WWII vehicle), the use of hyperbole such as "best ever" usually results in groans of disbelief and rolled eyes. In the case of Bob Johnson's 1971 Plymouth Cuda, however, Popular Hot Rodding believes that the term may actually apply.

The key design features of the Cuda were maintained, but the wheelbase was stretched three inches, and the windshield and backlight were moved rearwards by two inches. To my eyes, these changes serve to amplify the low-and-wide look of the original. Tucked under the carbon-fiber front body panels and sitting entirely behind the front axle is an aluminum 572-cube Hemi that produces an enormous 870 HP. A Corvette transaxle and suspension parts are used to route the power to the ground, where it reacts against a curb weight of only 2800 lbs. Consider that this vehicle is lighter than a Honda S2000 and has nearly four times the power, and one struggles to comprehend what it must be like to drop the hammer.

Johnson's Cuda does bring up a fairly significant question about the future of hot-rodding - just how far can one go? Builders such as Chip Foose and Troy Trepanier have undoubtedly raised the level of street-machine excellence to levels previously not comprehended, and the use of exotic materials and parts in this build points the way towards the future. Right now, the solitary unwritten rule is that the end product has to remotely resemble a production vehicle, and that seems to be the only thing preventing the top builders from constructing what would essentially be million-dollar one-off kit cars. At some point, one of these builders will want to transcend what Detroit was doing 30, 40, or 50 years ago, and it'll be interesting to gauge the public's reaction when that happens.When it comes to a segment of the automotive aftermarket as broad and rich as street machines (which potentially covers any modified post-WWII vehicle), the use of hyperbole such as "best ever" usually results in groans of disbelief and rolled eyes. In the case of Bob Johnson's 1971 Plymouth Cuda, however, Popular Hot Rodding believes that the term may actually apply.

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 03-18-2006 at 08:56 AM.

I especially like the back end and the interior but the side profile and front end do nothing for me. It's way to low in the front. I don't like it when the rims are tucked in under the fenders. To much of a "low-rider" look. Where's the bass-boat sparkle paint. the gold Daytons and tuck n' roll velour interior?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

+1.

Also, the interior is weird. You've got a full cage, seats with integrated harnesses, and no head rests?

While I can appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that goes into these types of customs, they don't really do anything for me. Instead of a static display of fabrication that isn't intended for actual driving, I'd rather see an unrestored Trans Am car from the same period roaring around the track.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Looks like a funny car to me
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

The front end is way too low, but other than that its incredible.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

It looks like one of those blings toys we sell at Target.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I'd much prefer this: