Thread: Het Iaian, that G6 you've been waiting for is finally here

Default Het Iaian, that G6 you've been waiting for is finally here

Pontiac will be whisking the cover off this G6 GXP at the New York Auto Show. Officially just a concept car, we're guessing the GXP will soon see production.

The GXP "performance series" badge first saw the light of day on Pontiac's 2003 Bonneville GXP, and later graced the performance model of the Grand Prix. A Solstice GXP will launch later this year.

The G6 GXP is meant to provide buyers with a more aggressive 2 2 coupe, with a full package of GXP mechanical and styling enhancements.

On the performance side, the GXP boasts a mildly reworked 3.9-liter V6 (270 hp, 250 lb-ft) coupled to a 6-speed manual transmission. The car rolls on 19-inch wheels providing a glimpse of cross-drilled brake rotors (after all, nothing says performance like brake disc holes). The suspension is lowered about an inch all around.

Styling-wise, the GXP gets a redesigned front fascia with integrated air dam, a couple of air scoops in the hood, side rocker panels, a new rear fascia sporting dual exhaustsand a faux diffuser, and a new "hammerhead"-design spoiler. The interior receives a red accent treatment, including red chrome trim. The Autoblog jury's still out on the grille (which looks to some of us like a shotgun wedding of Pontiac's "nostrils" and the Audi "waterfall"), but overall the package offers a nice performance upgrade for the G6.

Oh, baby...

S.

youre right about the grill.
    i cant quite pu tmy finger on what the headlights remind me of.
    the side view reminds me of a 2dr G35 coupe.
    and the rear tailights are off of a toyota (solara).
    now if that motor is a durable as the 3800 that they sold for a long stretch, plus a super charger, under $25k, now that would be something worth looking at. but then again thats going a little too far for pontiac and thier g6.

all those circles in front of the driver made me think of an Rx7 or supra.... WIERD!

ugly. Now if Saturn comes out with one then it should look a LOT better... kinda like the Sky vs. Solstice.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Who the heck is Iaian??

It looks beter than the last G6 I had, but it was a rental!

so how heavy is it anyway?

270, 6spd... good

heavy FWD bad...

I see they're also doing a hardtop vert for the G6 as well...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Who the heck is Iaian??
    And what does "Het" mean?? Yesterday was sort of a long day. My apologies Iain! :

S.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    so how heavy is it anyway?
    Probably around 3,500 lbs. The new GTI is around 3,300. Cars are getting rather portly these days. The last generation Prelude weighed around 3,000 lbs and that was pretty heavy back in the day.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Probably around 3,500 lbs. The new GTI is around 3,300. Cars are getting rather portly these days. The last generation Prelude weighed around 3,000 lbs and that was pretty heavy back in the day.

S.
    DAmn! that's impressive! That's a ton of bulk in a 'small' car....

I had a 93 grand Am coupe back in HS and that was still only like 2800lbs.. At the time it felt like driving a frikken tank!

of course, it only had 160hp and a 3-speed auto too.. Slight difference
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

That car needs to be reserved for rental cars and company cars. Why try to make it a performance vehicle when the ugly Grand AM looking GTO, with a
    V-8 and RWD, already exists.

Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    That car needs to be reserved for rental cars and company cars. Why try to make it a performance vehicle when the ugly Grand AM looking GTO, with a
    V-8 and RWD, already exists.
    Because the GTO is dead after 2007. Besides, the G6 GXP will be considerably cheaper than the GTO, probably around $26,000.

A part of me has a soft spot for cars like this, probably because my first car was a Sunbird and, well, I want to see GM survive and prosper. But if it really came time to plonk down 26 grand, man... You can buy some pretty nice cars for that much money:

S.

i hate those hood scoops that pontiac always put on thier cars- reminds me of those stick on ones.