Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Event: S2K Autocross - Mineral Wells - 2/28/2004

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Don't be nervous. The S2000 club's insurance requires them to keep maximum event speeds below 60mph, so although the course will be at least twice as long as the PCA course was last weekend, it won't be nearly as fast as the upcoming AX102/TT103 schools will be.
    ummmmmmmmm...you're not helping!
    Be afraid be very afraid!

BTW, for all of the newer autocrossers that will be attending, I highly recommend taking a ride with either altiain or Majik before you go out on course yourself. Others are good as well, but those two are really worth riding with. altiain because he is experienced and a good instructor, and Majik because he's naturally fast... and a bit scary as well . You won't die with either of them, but you'll quickly find out how hard you can really push a Miata.

And I need people to burn up altiain's runs so that I can place higher in the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel

I wonder if IMVivid knows that Manwhore will be out in Mineral Wells this weekend.
    She knows where he will be but promises to obey the terms of the restraining order.

BTW. Anyone want to meet up in the AM at the McDonald’s on 20? I know some of you haven't been to MW. It's a decent meeting point no matter what part of DFW you start your trip!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    BTW. Anyone want to meet up in the AM at the McDonald’s on 20? I know some of you haven't been to MW. It's a decent meeting point no matter what part of DFW you start your trip!
    I do! 20 @ what exit and what time?

Anyone who would like to meet up for breakfast before the NTS2KOC Autocross this weekend, meet POS Racing and I at the McDonalds on 20, at 7:00am. I think this McDonalds is just after 30 merges into 20, and from the map (provided by McDonald's website), it looks like you'd get off on Exit 418.

Who should we be looking for (who's likely to meet us there)?

I'll probably be there. Stranger things have happened.

However, I usually stop at the one at Exit 308 (combo McDonald's/Chevron - eat here and get gas now), since it's on the "correct" side of the road.

Those of you who have been there before will know that this means I take the "back" way in to Mineral Wells - Exit 294 to 113 north to Milsap, cross the railroad tracks and hang a left onto 3028, and right on 1195 to the stop sign at the airport. It's harder to hit the stop sign that way...

PCA Map

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Who should we be looking for (who's likely to meet us there)?
    I will be there. I have POS's cell phone number in case I get lost, sleep-in or something else comes up. Do I take exit 418 and loop back? It looks like it's on the East bound service road.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I'm expecting oatmeal with raisins and brown sugar again, but who knows? Maybe I'll swing by to say HI!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Do I take exit 418 and loop back? It looks like it's on the East bound service road.
    No idea... I can't picture the McDonalds in my head (I usually just zoom past there). But I'm sure we'll be able to see those Golden Arches from the highway, and make whatever turns (or backtracking) is needed...

Do I take exit 418 and loop back? It looks like it's on the East bound service road.
    No idea... I can't picture the McDonalds in my head (I usually just zoom past there). But I'm sure we'll be able to see those Golden Arches from the highway, and make whatever turns (or backtracking) is needed...
    It will be on the left side of the road, you have to exit and go under the bridge to get to it, there is also a Texaco/Shell across the street from McD's...

Majik because he's naturally fast...

Hehe you make me blush!!!

I might make it to MCDS, but seven sounds awful early, and I havent had anything to drink yet.... Plus I dont have tires to change, I might be alittle late, not that I have to worry about you guys waiting for me anyway...

I had fun. Too bad I'm so *#$&$* slow

Sounded like Jon W did better on the Falkens than the Hoosiers for a second week in a row... Interesting. altiain motivated at least one S2000 with a stunning performance on the 710s.

But most importantly, we had a nice crew at the McDonald's and drove in the "wrong" way from there.

Well not much has been said, is everyone out with their mad tyte JDM car drifting today? That was a fun event. It was nice to get back out and run again, hopefully I will be able to make it to more s2k events. I am looking at the tire rack, and thinking about bringing some decent rubber out next time...

I was terrible... but it was a lot of fun anyway. :) Well done altiain for really scaring those S2000's and [I think] coming away with 2nd fastest time of the day. I swear you are faster in your CS car than you ever were in you CSP car. I know Jon W. doesn't want to believe it, but I think you are really going to give him fits this year...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I know Jon W. doesn't want to believe it, but I think you are really going to give him fits this year...
    That's my intention.

I had a good time out there and enjoyed the course, even though I had my doubts during the parade lap. Unfortunately, I think I ended up 4th overall, as both of the Greg(g)s beat me by a tenth or two in the afternoon.

Still, that's closer than I managed to get to them last season, and the car felt really good on Saturday. It's still going to take a little time to get used to driving the car with the front bar. It's absolutely rock solid in transitions (which we had a lot of on Saturday), but it actually understeers just a little bit in the tight stuff like the pivot cone at the end of the slalom, unless I come in a lot hotter than I have been and trailbrake it around. It just feels weird having the Miata be that stable, as mine has always been a little loose, no matter what. I always thought I liked it that way (and it was fun that way, always countersteering it out of corners), but now I realize that it has the potential to be a lot faster with the big front bar... just as soon as I learn how to drive it again. Right now I can feel myself still hesitating in places (like coming into Saturday's slalom) where I expect the car to get loose on me, and it doesn't any more.

It's kinda funny when Gabby and the AWD boys can provoke more oversteer than I can.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It was a great day! The S2K guys really do a nice job!

I was really happy with the performance of the POS Racer! There is always room for improvement, but I had a good time!

The slalom and I seemed to never quite get along, always felt like I could have got out of the car and walked faster than I was getting around the last two cones as well as the gate! The transitions were awesome and the POS ate it up! I’m still contemplating a new front bar especially after reading Altiain little blurb above!

I can’t wait for the next one!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I had a great time too! (except for the freakin' weather). Thanks to POS for helping this nooB out with car setup. Thanks also to altiain for taking a lap with me and giving me some helpful pointers! Looking forward to this coming Saturday and continuing my education (and shaving more time off of my runs!)

BTW, will the S2K club post results and pictures somewhere?

Interesting results... Looks like all the Miata R guys plus me & Joe got to beat Gabby's new ride. Only altiain got to run faster than Mr. Harris' wild BMW and the Ann & Andy duo's "new" STS Civic... Watching Dean run the STi, it looks like he'll be mighty quick once he gets through having so much fun with it!

I also want to complement Tn on some very smooth driving... It's nice to see clean runs for a (correct me if I'm wrong) first time competitive event - especially on a 100+ second course... There were an awful lot of opportunities to get things very wrong yesterday... Looks like sammm will be driving over onething any day now... Street tire Miata is going to be fun this year! It's nice to see a large percentage of the Miatas in front of a large percentage of the S2000s... Must have been our day...

Note... These are "unofficial" results...

Name Class Number FTD
    Clovis S2000 R 35 94.519
    Gernby S2000 R 16 96.235
    Gregg S2000 R 83 96.487
    Elistan S2000 R 1 102.092

Taylor S2000 88 99.334
    egothreat S2000 811 102.209
    Stefan S2000 9 103.097
    MT S2000 8 103.896
    David S2000 11 104.598
    Jack S2000 58 105.430
    Kevin S2000 134 106.503
    Joseph S2000 30 107.571
    photo S2000 22 108.215
    David S2000 14 108.492
    Al S2000 52 108.794
    danimal S2000 369 110.055
    Grass S2000 123 126.400

altiain Miata R 75 96.771
    Wagner Miata 7 99.978
    Ron Miata R 26 100.505
    Mick Miata R 15 101.886
    Rich Miata R 4 102.122

Joseph Miata 32 100.837
    tailchaser Miata 42 102.228
    Majik Miata 115 104.824
    Hal Miata 99 105.781
    sammm Miata 34 108.793
    Toan Miata 82 111.129

Jim Other R 92 96.934
    Todd Other R 95 99.334
    Michael Other R 171 100.281
    RyanDL Other R 13 102.360
    Gabby Other R 74 102.598

instigator Other 176 96.363
    Andy Other 198 97.775
    Mark Other 18 98.486
    Ann Other 189 98.765
    Dean Other 188 99.288
    Corey Other 19 104.098
    Q Other 6 105.840
    Artur Other 55 106.029
    Amber Other 5 107.289
    Robert Other 37 107.460
    Hornsfan Other 23 109.088
    Kevin Other 67 117.139
    Amy Other 20 117.865
    Joe Bob Other 60 121.229
    Xlorn Other 39 131.766

Hmm... looks like I ended up 5th overall. I can accept that, considering that the only car that beat me that isn't substantially modified is Gregg Lee's S2000.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Saturday was fun. Some swaybar thoughts.....
    I felt the new front bar helped thru the offset gates (the most) and the slalom cones (a good amount). But the first sweeping right hand turn gave me fits. Every run thru there was an excersize in holding back on the throttle to let the front tires catch traction. I experienced a good amount (bad) of understeer. I'm sure its driver error...just entering the turn too hot, but it was frustrating.

How about the others of you with a front bar, did you experience the same push thru that area?

I believe the bar was beneficial thru some other parts of the course, so I'm not upset with it. I just need to go thru that learning curve.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast