Thread: brake fluid suggestions

Default brake fluid suggestions

its for my car. i want something heavy duty, compatible with what i have even though im flushing the whole system. im running the hawk hps pads and looking for a little something more. i ABUSE the living crap out of my car, and want fluid i can pound on. i dont mind changing it once a year or so.

i was considering the colored fluids but cant find too many of those. (that way i know its new fluid coming out.)

does anyone have experience with the Castrol GT LMA BF? i think i have a hook up with those. oh yeah, price is a biggie, like $15-20 to flush the system. if its a lil more and worth it, ill prolly do that.

The Valvoline full synthetic that you can get at Autozone is some pretty good stuff. I've never had fade problems driving on or off the track. I used to use ATE Super Blue on the M3 but its temp ratings really aren't much higher than the Valvoline stuff that's readily available and almost half the price.

I would suggest using the cheaper stuff (valvoline) and flushing more often, definitely more than once a year to keep it at peak performance.

BTW, did you get the stereo to work?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I agree with Miatamoto!

I flush the brakes twice a year stuff works great and is team cheap bastard approved!

Last edited by POS Racing; 05-01-2006 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I agree with Miatamoto!

I flush the brakes twice a year stuff works great and is team cheap bastard approved! :through:
    +1

I think it may be time for a GTG to do wrenching & fluid changes.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by BAM!
    its for my car. i want something heavy duty, compatible with what i have even though im flushing the whole system. im running the hawk hps pads and looking for a little something more. i ABUSE the living crap out of my car, and want fluid i can pound on. i dont mind changing it once a year or so.

i was considering the colored fluids but cant find too many of those. (that way i know its new fluid coming out.)

does anyone have experience with the Castrol GT LMA BF? i think i have a hook up with those. oh yeah, price is a biggie, like $15-20 to flush the system. if its a lil more and worth it, ill prolly do that.
    Ran that in my cars... and you know how it felt in the 93 w/ the same pads as you have. I tried the Valvoline stuff once, switched back to GT LMA.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

For Street,

Any good fluid will work. If you were doing open track, I would still recommend any good fluid with more frequent flushes.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Another vote for Valvoline Synthetic. You'll never get your brakes hot enough on the street to fade it, regardless of how hard you drive. Cheap and readily available at an Autozone. What more could you want?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Ran that in my cars... and you know how it felt in the 93 w/ the same pads as you have. I tried the Valvoline stuff once, switched back to GT LMA.
    so ive already have had bad luck with the valvoline stuff?? ????

You cannot feel fluid. ALL Brake fluids work and feel the same the same until they start to get water in the system or you are open tracking the car. If you can feel the difference in non-open track driving. You are feeling a good or bad brake flush. A bad brake flush will have tiny bubbles in the line that cause a less than rock solid feeling.

Any spongy feeling is due to air in the system not the fluid used.

I used good ol' fashioned Ford HD DOT 3 in the cobra which generates TONS more heat than the Miata with no problems. The valvoline product seems to be a good way to go. Ford makes a very nice product too. Many of the Chevy guys run the ford brake fluid because of its high DRY boiling point.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba