Thread: Advise on getting new top/install...

Default Advise on getting new top/install...

Okay, so my top is getting a bit threadbare and leaks pretty good under hard rain. I'm plan to purchase a new top soon and am wondering if anyone is good at installing them or should I spend the money and have a shop do it? My frame more than likely needs some adjustments but should be fine.

Another thing, I have to purchase the weatherstripping/seals separate correct?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

The window seals are separate but keep in mind that the seals around the softtop themselves are adjustable - so you might not need to replace them.

It's not hard to put a new top in except for threading the pieces through the cross bars to hold the center of the top to the frame... and stretching it over the windshield header... It'll be VERY stiff and possibly hard to close for the first couple of weeks.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

hmm...I suppose I could try the install myself. If I can assemble a motor then this shouldn't be too bad! Thinking about revoking my Team Cheap Bastard membership and ordering a new canvas top! Interesting, they have blue and red now...that could look nice...maybe
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

...or save yourself the hassle and find a NB top in good condition. Drop in install and a rubber rain rail instead of the cheap plastic ones on the NA.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)