Thread: Craftsman Warranty Returns Question

Default Craftsman Warranty Returns Question

Does anyone have experience taking A LOT of broken Craftsman tools in at once for replacement? Do they give you a hard time? I bought a box of over 50 broken craftsman sockets off of ebay for around $20 shipped knowing that I could take them back for new ones, but it never occurred to me that they may give me a hard time until I had 50 cracked sockets sitting in front of me.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I wouldn't sweat it. Shouldn't matter, just will take some time.

You are probably right. The other problem is the amount of duplication. I never imagined I would end up with SEVEN 14mm 6pt deep sockets. I am thinking event door prizes.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    You are probably right. The other problem is the amount of duplication. I never imagined I would end up with SEVEN 14mm 6pt deep sockets. I am thinking event door prizes.
    For your safety, have them replaced before offering them as door prizes
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

An update... I took 10 in to the Frisco store today. While they didn't give me a problem, he did comment that he had never seen someone with so many broken sockets before, and said something to the effect of "You're not using these with air-tools, are you... we have special sockets for that you know."

I think he would have had a heart-attack if I had strolled in there with 50. I think I will just try to keep the rest of the broken ones in the car and take 4 or 5 at a time in whenever I pass a Sears.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Why not make a day of it and hit several Sears? Might be interesting to see if you trip some sensor in the computer system.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    Why not make a day of it and hit several Sears? Might be interesting to see if you trip some sensor in the computer system.
    LOL... I expected that they would have me fill out a form or something (so I was a little concerned with getting black-flagged in the computer), but he just handed me the new sockets and a receipt, and then he put the broken ones into a giant bin of broken tools behind the counter.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    and then he put the broken ones into a giant bin of broken tools behind the counter.
    Then when it's full he sells it to some schmuck on E-Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Then when it's full he sells it to some schmuck on E-Bay!
    Schmuck, or TCB member of the month?

Default Update

After visiting 6 differed Sears stores (Frisco, Plano, Addison, Richardson, Irving, and Lewisville), I have swapped out 44 of 54 sockets. It appears that there are no longer any deep 6pt 15mm sockets left in North Dallas, as I was only able to swap out 1 of 5 of them. I guess I will need to let everyone re-stock before getting my last few replacements... I'm starting a new thread in the Classifieds for trading... check it out.

Ahh, you shouldn't have any problems. I worked at Sears hardware at Collin Creek for 3 yrs! The only time we gave any resistance was when the damn construction workers would come in with a ton of hammer or something that were just dirty...not even broken!

As for the air tools thing, I've broken my fair share of sockets and ratchets without using air tools! Chipped the bone in a knuckle using a 3/8 ratchet several yrs ago. They can't prove anyone used an air tool on them anyways.

btw, that's a helluva lot of sockets to be swapping out!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...