Thread: tire pressure auto bleeders

Default tire pressure auto bleeders

This is an old trick I read about years ago. I've noticed that "Dean" with a white C5 Corvette uses them. I realize that they may be limited in their use for AX. However, my Azenis still get greasy after 5 laps in a Time Trial (when pushed really hard) so I'm interested in them. What I talking about are little spring-loaded valves that mount on your rim. You adjust them to only allow a max pressure to stay in the tire...so as the tire heats up the pressure remains below the preset level. Dean said he got them at piedmontkart.com but I can't find them on that site.

So, I'm asking, anyone have any experience with these...are they good or bad? Where can they be found?

Yes, I know you have to drill a hole in the wheel, but you can lock the bleeder down to not bleed at all if you decide you don't want to use them. And yes, I would guess if there is a large gap between run sessions, you may need to pump the tires back up some...but that's why I always have an air-can. Any other concerns I need to know about? Do you guys think the problem with Azenis getting greasy will be lessen by controlling the tire pressure or is it all a matter of rubber temp?

Thanks for any constructive input,

Maniac Mitch
    "the question man"

Hoosier tire has some interesting reading about pressure bleeders.

Link!

I don't know if stabilizing the tire pressure is what is needed, but if it is, another option to consider is Nitrogen. You need to add a second valve stem to release the air in the tire as the nitrogen goes in, and then just find a shop that sells nitrogen. This thread says some Costcos have it. The Kosei K1-TS comes standard with a second valve stem for this very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I don't know if stabilizing the tire pressure is what is needed, but if it is, another option to consider is Nitrogen. You need to add a second valve stem to release the air in the tire as the nitrogen goes in, and then just find a shop that sells nitrogen. This thread says some Costcos have it. The Kosei K1-TS comes standard with a second valve stem for this very reason.
    Good point Titus!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Hoosier tire has some interesting reading about pressure bleeders.

Link!
    But it is all about bias ply tires. I wonder if the change is the same for radials?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I know David McDavid Acura in Plano also has nitrogen.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I talked to Dean! about them last time I saw him at an autoX. He said it was a pretty easy install, the only issue was the way they need to be mounted, because if you do it wrong the centripital force will hold the valve open because of the rotation of the wheel. Sorry I dont have any other outside info, but it seems like a good idea. Since I have the Kosei K1-TS wheels pictured above, I thought about replacing one valve stem with a bleeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux
    I know David McDavid Acura in Plano also has nitrogen.
    Found this link today = http://www.purigen98.com/