Thread: P0507

Default P0507

Here's what is tripping now "control system RPM high"
    Anyone know of what might cause this code?

I know it's related somehow to cleaning the intake manifold, but is there a particular part that regulates the RPMs?
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Have you reset your idle yet? Since the rebuild and cleaning it's probably a good time to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Have you reset your idle yet? Since the rebuild and cleaning it's probably a good time to do so.
    P0507 = Idle Control System RPM Higher Than Expected.

What RPM is it idling at????

Well it idles most of the time at 1400-1600rpms

After cold starting it is 2000-2500rpms

and sometimes it settles in and pulses between 1000-1200rpms

I have not reset the timing as I am totaly lost on that part, I should mention that when I got the car back it was a smooth consistant 900rpms.
    I dont know if messing with the timing or idle would screw with the new timing belt or do more damage and its a little scary after just spending the rebuild cash.
    I was hoping I guess that someone has this code before and could point me in a direction, I am taking it to Gary soon if I cant figure it out....maybe he can help me locate the problem.
    99 Miata Black

I don't think you can mess with the timing on an NB, but adjusting the idle should be easy. Being that you have a high idle, and the CEL is reporting a high idle, I would try to adjust the idle a little lower.

Here's what I am thinking though, and correct me if this is the wrong line of reasoning...I could understand adjusting the idle if it were a consistant high idle of a specific # say 1500rpms, but my idle if sort of sparatic.
    I dont know why but I am thinking maybe a sensor or something along that line is the problem. I may be wrong, I could adjust the idle but with the idle changing consistantly I dont see how that is fixing the problem.

I should also mention that the car dies out of the blue today for the first time ever after starting it up.

I am thinking about taking the bottom part of the manifold off and cleaning it as well as what I have done with the top part....I guess it couldn't hurt anything anymore than if is now.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I don't think you can mess with the timing on an NB, but adjusting the idle should be easy. Being that you have a high idle, and the CEL is reporting a high idle, I would try to adjust the idle a little lower.
    Yea Billy Timing and idle speed are two totally different things, it should idle a bit quick when you first start it then should settle out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I am thinking about taking the bottom part of the manifold off and cleaning it as well as what I have done with the top part....I guess it couldn't hurt anything anymore than if is now.
    I'm thinking maybe you should leave the poor thing alone since your last fix doesn't seemed to have made you any forward progress.

ok after doing some reading and taking everything apart again and making sure , and double sure its put together right....it looks to me like its the idle control valve.
    I am going to see if Gary has one that i can try and possibly buy from him since the local dealership wants $326.00
    Last edited by Billy Blaze; 06-21-2006 at 04:04 PM. Reason: blsah
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Before you spring for the ICV, why not get rid of the permatex and get the correct OEM gasket. It seems you are getting a lot of advice and answers to your questions, and then choosing to ignore most all of it. Have you set the idle to spec yet?

I am not ignoring the advice, I cleaned the heck out of the gasket and it's still good...I used the permatex to make sure that for some reason there might be a leak it would seal anyway as a precaution.

I have not set the idle because it wont idle at a set speed, if I set the idle to 900rpms from 1500rpms then it will die when it occasionaly dips down 500rpms as it does sometimes.

Its like the throttle sticks, but I have cleaned and recleaned the throttle body, and watched it while running and its not sticking, thats why I think its the ICV, that and the literature suggests it.

I plan on taking the car to Gary Sunday to get a second opinion though, and I really do appreciate all the help.
    99 Miata Black

It sounds like a vaccume leak to me. Any chance you forgot to hook up one of those many hoses when you were putting everything back together?
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

no chance, after taking it apart and putting it back together twice I am 100% sure everything is plugged in.
    99 Miata Black

Like I said in the other post....Billy needs to get a horse. Hard to mess them up. Just throw some hay at them!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Just throw some hay at them!
    That's animal abuse!
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    That's animal abuse!
    What? Throwing hay at them, or BILLY!!!!!!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Seafoamed the car yesterday and it seemed to help a little, not with the rpms so much as horsepower......anyway, I have a TB gasket and Manifold gasket on order am going to try those again without permatex when they come in and after going to Gary's Sunday.
    I will likely take the bottom off though and clean it as the seafoam helped...Gary also suggested it.

I feel more confident doing it now, since I could take the top portion off and put it together in my sleep now.
    99 Miata Black

Got the car fixed.
    It seems there were several things going on....
    Vacuum was good so the gaskets were sealed good, i bought extras just in case.
    The Coil pack was just bouncing all around under the hood, seems as if one bolt was a little too short...replaced it with a longer bolt.
    Replaced the plugs that were the originals from before the rebuild.
    And then re-set the idle.
    Now it is holding at 850-950 rpms, I hear a very slight miss but the car is making great power....good enough for me.
    Thanks again Gary, and thanks for the suggestions guys....I never thought to check the coil pack just assumed it was in there tight.
    99 Miata Black