Thread: Bike Racks

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I am looking for a trailer hitch so I can use a bike rack for my 99. Let me know if you know anyone selling one. Thanks.
    Didn't TC want to sell his? Is it a straight one?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Didn't TC want to sell his? Is it a straight one?
    Mine is gay.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Mine is gay.
    Figures.

I saw this guy's post and at first thought it was your car.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    I saw this guy's post and at first thought it was your car.
    Having used a trailer hitch mounted carrier on a truck, and a trunk mounted carrier on several cars, I'd highly recommend the trunk mounted carrier. It's somewhat more tedious to strap on, but it's much more stable over bumps and the like. Not to mention cheaper.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

What about the finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    What about the finish?
    OK... so the longest term vehicle was an RX-7 with a glass back hatch, I never put a scratch in the paint on the 3 cars that frequently carried the trunk mount carrier... One infrequently used car got bitten by a pedal once, but that was an error caused by impatience.

As long as the paint is clean and the rubber pads are clean, you shouldn't have problems. And I got away with dirty paint more than a few times. If you cinch it down right it won't move, and thus won't scratch.

ew clean paint, that sounds like work

So far mine has not gotten scratched. I use the same yakama trunk mounted rack as shown in the link and have used it on 3 different cars now..... And like he said, as long as you tie the pedal down in the right position you shouldn't have a problem.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Having used a trailer hitch mounted carrier on a truck, and a trunk mounted carrier on several cars, I'd highly recommend the trunk mounted carrier. It's somewhat more tedious to strap on, but it's much more stable over bumps and the like. Not to mention cheaper.
    Having used everything from a Yakima roof rack system to a trunk mount to my current receiver hitch mount, I wouldn't go any other way but a receiver hitch mount on a Miata. You do have to take precautions with a trunk rack to make sure you don't damage the paint, and... well, it's hard to get into your trunk when you've got two bikes strapped to it.

A receiver hitch eliminates those problems, doesn't require straps (which wear and break), and will work without question on any future cars that you can add a receiver hitch to. I've had my current rack for nine years now, and I've used it on four different cars.

One last thing - try locking a strap-on rack to the car...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Well I moved this to bull since it wasnt really a classified ad anymore. I have a few questions. I am looking at all options. What about a ball mounted rack? They are a little cheaper than the trunk mount (not including the hitch) and it would allow me to buy TC's used ::paul:: hitch. The reviews at MTBR seem pretty good for these, while the reviews for the trunk mounted racks are horrible. There are a ton of people tossing their bikes onto the interstate out there. I was looking at something like this.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Granted, mine is mounted to the trailer instead of the car, but what we did was remove the ball from a receiver hitch stinger and mount the vertical part of the hitch to it. It could easily be moved to the car. It has never been a worry to me.

OTOH - I had a trunk mount strap on rack fail and destroy 2 new bikes.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've never owned a trunk-mounted rack and never would. Worrying about scratching the paint, denting/scratching the trunk lid or worst of all total rack failure. The one for $58 seems like a bargain. A hitch can then pull double-duty and carry a tire-tail too if/when you get one.