Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got an OBDII reader I can borrow?

Suspension Modder

Default Got an OBDII reader I can borrow?

need to figure out what's up with my car as she is just sitting in the garage right now. I was supposed to take it to Steven on Wed. but the car won't turn over therefore i'm screwed.

Don't know what happened. When I got back 2 weeks, drove it fine for one day. The next day drove it to school but on the way back, the CEL was flashing off/on. So came home, and didnt drive the next day, however started it fine and the CEL still flashing. Haven't driven it for 2 weeks and now it won't turnover.

anyone got a trailer so i can haul her to justin?

Chassis Designer

i've got an OBD II scanner. but i'm two hours away. if it's still down on the 7th when i come up there i'd be happy to drop by and see what it has to say and see if i can give you a hand with it.
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

I don't have a trailer but I got an SUV that can pull a trailer. Let me know if I can be of any help!

Is the battery drained since it has been sitting quite a bit while you played world traveler?

What is it doing when you try to start it??

Chassis Designer

good point pos. try to jumper it and see if you can get it started. last time my CEL was on, it was my egr valve clogged...pain in the butt but cheap to fix.
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

Suspension Modder

i'll put the key in turn it, hear like a grinding noise, all gauge lights are on. the grinding noise is like, the engine wants to turn over but it won't.

it's not the battery (my first thought too) since I had that checked.

and um. that's all. imma try to find a trailer and let ya'll know.
    tia

Quote Originally Posted by Miatabich
    it's not the battery (my first thought too) since I had that checked.
    BTW. who checked it? Did they do a load test on it like Autozone can do?

Sounds like the battery to me...

Suspension Modder

my friend cked it with a multi meter.

hauling it out this week when i get the time so hopefully it'll be fixed soon

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Did he check it with a load? If not, you may get a false indication with no load on the battery IIRC.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething

Did he check it with a load? If not, you may get a false indication with no load on the battery IIRC.
    Yep you are correct a load test is best way to test a battery.

Did you guys try and charge the battery Miatabich? I've got a 2-amp charger let me know if you want to give it a try. Also keep in mind the AGM battery in a Miata is acts slightly different than 99% of the batteries used in other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Also keep in mind the AGM battery in a Miata is acts slightly different than 99% of the batteries used in other cars.
    Explanation, please, oh EE
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Plagiarize mode : on

In a normal lead-acid battery, the electrolyte is sulfuric acid in sufficient quantity to cover the lead plates in each battery cell. This type of battery is referred to as a wet or flooded cell battery. The main drawback to this type of battery is the continued maintenance and possibility of spillage of acid during maintenance or an accident.

About 1958, attempts were made to immobilize or fix the electrolyte in the cell of the battery using various methods. One of these was to use silica gel to bind the water present in the electrolyte solution into a jelly. Just imagine a battery full of cherry JELL-O. These type of batteries are used in many applications and are referred to as gel cells.

For the record, the Miata battery is NOT A GEL CELL.

In 1985, when the Miata was taking shape in Irvine, a new battery technology was being used in military aircraft. The paramount considerations of power, weight, safety, and reliability were the selling points of this new type of battery. The new technology was AGM or Absorption Glass Mat. This technology was an evolution of previous battery technologies, including gel cells.

In AGM sealed batteries, the acid is absorbed between the lead plates and immobilized by a very fine fiberglass mat. This glass mat absorbs and immobilizes the acid while still keeping the acid available to the plates. This allows fast reaction between the acid and plate material. The intimate relationship of the electrolyte-filled mat and the lead plate, allows the construction of a smaller battery, using less electrolyte and metal plates. This means a smaller battery with nearly equal power ratings to a wet-cell battery of larger size and weight.

Plagiarize mode : off

Already knew that. I read your post to mean there was some characteristic that would change or negate my load test recommendation. Does the AGM die like a lead acid battery?

If you pull out the grass mats and put in Jell-o, will it put new life in your battery?

Already knew that. I read your post to mean there was some characteristic that would change or negate my load test recommendation. Does the AGM die like a lead acid battery?

If you pull out the grass mats and put in Jell-o, will it put new life in your battery?
    It may taste better! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Get back on the bus . . . back of the bus that is... :P

AGM take more time to recharge than a conventional battery. They also don't like being charged with a high amp charger. Recommended method is to put them on a trickle charger (around 2 Amp) for an extended period to guarantee a full charge. That’s why people will think they need a new battery when the jump start a dead Miata then run it for a ½ hour shut it down and find out it will not start again.

On the other side of the equation they tend to hold a charge for a long time, but if you leave a Miata sit and lets say travel off to Europe they may discharge enough that they may need a 24 hour recharge to get them back to normal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

Get back on the bus . . . back of the bus that is... :P
    I have a bus you know!

Well Miatabich were you able to get the car up to Steven's? What was he able to figure out for you?

I upgraded to one of these bad boys and I really like it..... it is available to clear codes and diagnostics for beers..... bartering for alchohol, God I love this country.....

Suspension Modder

yeah. i think i blew my motor.

i'm fking cursed.

update later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast