Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving house!

Default Moving house!

Well, it's been a crazy week, but a good one. We accepted an offer on our house in North Richland Hills on Wednesday, and made an offer on the house we want to buy in Murphy, which was accepted on Thursday!

We close on the new home on the 27th of July. Now, this time around I'm thinking seriously about hiring a moving company to get the bulk of the furniture, especially since the new house is a two-story. Does anyone have any recommendations on a moving company for "local" (less than 50 miles) moves?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Little Guy Movers here in Denton is owned by my neighbor and friend. I'm not sure how far away they go though.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Congrats! Does the new house have garage/shop space?

Whoops, Congrats I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Congrats on the new place. I expect the place you bought was a garage with a house attached to it .
    How long is that drive from Murphy to MW? I'm sure it won't matter. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    How long is that drive from Murphy to MW?
    At 6AM last Sunday, it took me just about an hour to get to the MCD meeting point. Murphy is going to be 15-20 minutes longer than that, depending on how close he is to PGBTP.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    We accepted an offer on our house in North Richland Hills
    Congrats, I sold the focus too! I hope everything wirks out for you guys.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Does anyone have any recommendations on a moving company for "local" (less than 50 miles) moves?
    Whomever you choose, make sure that you are the first move of the day. I find that being even number two on the list often results in a late arrival. Anything after number two, forget about it.

I also find that it is not the company that is good or bad, but rather a general crap shoot on the guys that show up. It just depends on the team and what kind of night they had.

Anyway, it is always good to hire movers. I will never move myself again, nor will I help anyone move. It is just too cheap to hire movers and not worth the work to do it myself or help someone do it themselves.

Congrats on the house.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

IIRC - we used off duty firemen. They were great.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

We used a company called Super Movers - ranked by someone as "the best movers in Dallas". Our crew foreman was a guy named Mark McDaniel. He was great, I'd use him again.

Congrats on the move.

Craig

Thanks guys. Ironically, the new house actually doesn't have my dream garage attached... but it is our dream house. We just couldn't find a house we both really wanted attached to a 3-car garage, at least not in the area we wanted to live in and not in our price range.

Still, it's a beautiful former model home about 6 miles from my office, and the sign down the backroad between the office and the new house looks like this:

... so I'll probably sell the Accord an go back to commuting in the Miata for the time being anyway.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So are we going to get a link to see this dream house?

Is there enough land to build the dream garage?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    So are we going to get a link to see this dream house?
    Ask and ye shall receive ----> click me <----

Raymond, I don't think the HOA will let me build a freestanding garage, although there would be room and the driveway comes up along the side of the house in such a way that I could tie it into the driveway. That's okay - We're going to put up a shed in the backyard which will give me room to store the trailer, and probably leave it at that.
    Iain

Ask and ye shall receive ----> click me <----
    Very nice! Are they leaving the pool table?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Very nice! Are they leaving the pool table?
    No.

Our first offer included the pool table, but we made that offer on Wednesday night, and another couple outbid us on Thursday morning. We revised our offer upward Thursday afternoon, and removed the pool table, as apparently the current owner has an emotional attachment to that table. The other couple did not revise their bid, and we got the house.

However, Mel saw how disappointed I was about not getting the table, and promised me that we'd buy one. I have a good wife.
    Iain

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Very nice house. Congrats.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast