Thread: RAtlanta here we come.

Default RAtlanta here we come.

Well, my new SM is finally finished up in Memphis. Jim Drago at East Street Auto (the best place to get your used Miata parts) has built 3 or 4 of the best SMs in the country over the past two or three years. He is a good friend and has built a great 95 for me.
    The car was a flood victim that he stripped down to the tub and then replaced everything. Used parts where it worked and tons of Mazdaspeed new parts where needed. Jim Daniels, Pat Sandelin and Drago ran a test day this week at Memphis Motorsport Park and my car ran right with theirs meaning in good hands it is fast. So I can expect the old "half arse fast" in my hands .
    I was planning on my annual long haul race trip to be to Elkhart Lake this next (22nd & 23rd) weekend with a golf week following and then a second RAmerica race weekend at the end of the week. Things change (I have some health issues to work on the following Monday) and you have to roll with the punches. Instead of going north I am going southeast to RAtlanta for the annual tripleheader (SARRC / ECR / Pro IT) race weekend. As hot as it is I plan on doing the SM SARRC race Saturday and the ECR enduro Sunday morning and heading back that afternoon. This race weekend back in 2000 was my first trip to RAtlanta and also the introduction of SM racecars to the southeast. Shannon MC. the Racernetwork boys and myself took our four SMs over there and ran in the IT rungroup. Tons of racers crawled all over the cars in the paddock for three days asking a million questions. My main source of help was to show that someone who knew nothing could have a great time as the cars and their upkeep are so simple. The next year Jim Mackay and myself took one car to the same weekend and ran four races. We split the enduro and finished first in class ( my only win ever!) By that time there were twenty SMs running. It (SM) really took off after that.
    Returning to the scene of the crime again should be a great first weekend for the newest SM. With a test day all day Friday, I should get decent by the enduro. If any of you get a chance to ever go to RAtlanta do it. Not only a great track to drive, but the spectating is great. Lots of great vantage points to watch. Merv has raced it several times, and other then MSR or Hallett, I have raced it more then any other track (even more then TWS). It has several "thrill" spots for me such as taking T1 at speed, going down thru the esses and avoiding the wall at T5, and taking the final turn down the hill full out tracking toward the wall and the Flag stand! If you have good rubber no problem.... if your tires are going away lord help you. This is my last race for a while so I hope to have a blast. I will try to give some race reports (which usually turn in to pretty funny reports on stupid moves I or others around me make.)
    Mac
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Good luck and let us know
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

So does this car have one of those super-duper engines like his 99? It was awesome at Hallett a couple of weeks ago. Good luck, Mac, and have fun.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    So does this car have one of those super-duper engines like his 99? It was awesome at Hallett a couple of weeks ago. Good luck, Mac, and have fun.
    Mine is a Sunbelt that has a few races on it. Not the new RE or Huffaker that the top guys are running. (Or Karl's either) It makes plenty of power but the thing the car should be better at, is handling. All new suspension (bushings and all) should make it much better then any of my other cars.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER

Congrats! Peektures next time please.... I enjoy reading the reports, I hope time allows you to continue that. Thanks.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I am taking daughter #3 to be crew chief this weekend so I am sure she will take some pictures. If we get lucky the motel will have internet access and I will keep folks updated.
    Mac

Well we made it back. To give you the story we start at 8pm last Weds. towing to Little Rock. After about 5hrs. shut eye we left to pick the car up in Memphis. Jim Drago of East Street Auto (salvage & used parts) has been building the car over the last few months. It turned out nice. After picking it up we headed to Atlanta. By "we" I mean two of my daughters and one of their friends. We dropped off one daughter and the friend with friends from Auburn for the weekend. The remaining daughter (Crew Chief Martha-Nell) and I pulled into Oakwood about 11pm. LOOOOONG DAY.
    Friday we arrived for the track day at 8am and pulled on track about 9. First thing out I noticed the dash panel was not working. After a few laps without a tach or temp gauge I came in and found a popped fuse. (I would continue to have this problem all weekend.) Later that day another SM racer helped me rewire a fan switch that we thought might be a problem with the circuit. This seemed to work.
    Saturday we woke to rain so first thing on was rain tires. First practice times for me were in the 1:54 range. The track was drying, but the rain tires were not fast. For the SARRC qualifying we went with new shaved Toyos and ran a 1:50.3. The leader was at 1:48 so I felt pretty good. The race was very good with little or no contact. My car ran great and turned very well. I had picked up my old brake points and was very comfortable in the race. As always my trouble spot is T5, but as the race went on I got faster and quicker on turn in there. I started 15th and finished 8th. Not bad at all in what I consider a very tough SM division. My car was still having fuse problems but running well. Saturday night we went to Rob May's house for a race party. I met Jim Thompson (Sunbelt engines) who is a nice guy. He is doing mostly BMW race engines now. Lots of bench racing and old stories told.
    Sunday we brought out the race radios only to have them not work, so other then checking tires and fluids Martha-Nell had a dull morning. I filled up all the way to avoid fueling on my mandatory pit stop. I started 17th with a Q time of 150.9. The first 3/4ths of the race I held a top ten position in SM getting as high as 2nd. Gary Jenkins and Mark Pombo were leaders (and won) and after my pit stop which I stretched out to six minutes, (I was hot and thirsty) I got back on the track behind Jenkins and drafted with him for 10 to 12 laps. As usual I finally missed a shift at T5 and Gary was gone. On the last lap I detected a miss coming on to the back straight and pulled off line and brought her into the pits. So for not crossing the finish line I lost a lap dropping my finish by several spots. All in all it was a really fun race and I got down into the 1:49s.
    On the tow back (13 hours) I had a trailer tire lose some rubber ( I guess they are not rated for 90mph!) so I had to change to the spare, but I was able to do it in a resturant parking lot so it was not too bad.
    As I have said before, this weekend (SARRC / ECR /Pro IT) is the best track maximum you can find on a great track.
    OH, I also got to see our old buddy Ony, he helped me strap in for the ECR.
    Mac
    Mac