Thread: Needs Help Replacing Wheel Stud

Default Needs Help Replacing Wheel Stud

I brok off one of the wheel stud of the left front. Please don't ask how!. I find the following from the "pointy board":

I replaced a stud on my left rear last year. Took all of 15 minutes. Jack up the car, take the wheel off, take a hammer and give the stud a good whack, wiggle the hub around until the stud can come out, put new one in, put wheel back on

Do you guys think this is a good idea to do it this way instead of taking the hub, brake etc. off first. This guy was saying the NB has more clearence than the NA and does not apply to NA.

Thanks in advance for your prompt and expert advice.
    Gabriel

I havent done this on the miata, but on my eclipse it was that simple. You tkae off the wheel and the rotor, knock out the old stud, it should come out fairly easy. Then, put the new one in and thighten it with a lug nut. Also, be sure and use anti seize next time.

Default Re: Needs Help Replacing Wheel Stud

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong
    I replaced a stud on my left rear last year. Took all of 15 minutes. Jack up the car, take the wheel off, take a hammer and give the stud a good whack, wiggle the hub around until the stud can come out, put new one in, put wheel back on

Do you guys think this is a good idea to do it this way instead of taking the hub, brake etc. off first. This guy was saying the NB has more clearence than the NA and does not apply to NA.
    Yep, this is the "altiain & lugnutjon approved" method for stud replacement. For a front stud, jack the car up, remove the wheel, rotate the hub around until the offending stud is even with where the dust shield flares out (makes it easier to put the new one in), have someone hold the brakes or set the brake pedal with a board, take your trusty hammer and give it a smack. If it takes you more than two smacks, you're a girly-man. :P

To put the new one in, simply feed it through the hole, put the lugnut on there (if you have open-ended lug nuts), and tighten. If you have close-ended lug nuts, simply put the wheel back on and tighten as you normally would (80 ft-lbs).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks! It is done! It was so easy I went head replace another one that is a little stripped too. Not counting the time spend on getting the part. This is truely a 15 minutes job.
    Gabriel