Thread: New Budget Camera

Default New budget camera

Well, the wife lost my 4 year old trusty 2 Megapixel Sony Cybershot last month, so I have looking around for a replacement budget camera. I came across a Samsung 5 Megapixel with lots of features for a great price. It retails for $300, but JR.com as it on clearance for $119.99. For the price, I jumped on it, because I must stop the spending of $7 to develop a $5 disposable camera every week. If I don't like the quality, I will let her have it full time and get something different for myself.

It says it will record video w/audio in 640 x 480 @ 15fps, and has a Stabilizer. Is that going to be good enough for decent in car videos?

15 fps will be jerky. You need to be able to do 30 fps to make smooth video.

I would never buy a camera without doing a lot of testing first. I spent good money on an HP PhotoSmart 945 and HATED that camera. I ended up selling it on eBay along with my Sony Mavica and saved a little more to buy a Canon Rebel Digital. That HP camera was slow to focus, had poor low light performance, and very slow to cycle through for the next shot.

You really should go find someone that has one & loves it or go play with one in the store to decide what you really want to buy.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I use a cannon powershot S1 IS that I love. The model I have is not made anymore but there is a newer version of it. Does 30 fps video at 640x480 or 320X200 with audio. Maximum picture resolution is 2048X1586. comes with a 10x optical zoom lense and a 2x digital zoom. Takes compact flash memory up to 2 GB. USB port for direct downloads as well as an A/V port and cable to go direct to VCR or TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Well, the wife lost my 4 year old trusty 2 Megapixel Sony Cybershot last month, so I have looking around for a replacement budget camera. I came across a Samsung 5 Megapixel with lots of features for a great price. It retails for $300, but JR.com as it on clearance for $119.99. For the price, I jumped on it, because I must stop the spending of $7 to develop a $5 disposable camera every week. If I don't like the quality, I will let her have it full time and get something different for myself.

It says it will record video w/audio in 640 x 480 @ 15fps, and has a Stabilizer. Is that going to be good enough for decent in car videos?
    Sounds good. I need to replace my trusty 2 Megapixel camera too.

Here is a great site for reviews and such
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    I would never buy a camera without doing a lot of testing first. I spent good money on an HP PhotoSmart 945 and HATED that camera.
    Hmmm... perhaps you should change that to never AGAIN.
    ...saved a little more to buy a Canon Rebel Digital.
    Nope... I need a budget camera that won't send me into rampage if she loses it.
    .That HP camera was slow to focus, had poor low light performance, and very slow to cycle through for the next shot.
    Well, the primary user NEVER used any feature on our Cybershot and is happy with a disposable camera. I don't think she will notice. She didn't even care to figure out thumbnail mode for view pics she had taken. For me, while I like the idea of a nice camera, it just isn't important... The only time i really take pics is for Ebay auctions.
    You really should go find someone that has one & loves it or go play with one in the store to decide what you really want to buy.
    Nope. Too late. Camera is already ordered. I am in stop the bleeding mode as she has already spent $65 on disposable cameras and developing in the last 5 weeks. No more money going down the drain for me.

Default New Budget Camera

We got a Samsung A7 at Christmas and it has been a great camera but we were upgrading from a Mavica MVC-FD91 that was .85 MP and used floppys for film. Talk about slow!

WE have no complaints with our Samsung.

I would had added my to the other thread but for no apparant reason, POS decided to lock it.

Seriously. Whats with the moderating? This isn't the pointy board and there were no flames. No need to lock it. Down the road someone might want to ask a question on the same topic or add a constructive comment. Happens all the time. I come here BECAUSE I don't have to worry about heavy moderation.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Seriously. Whats with the moderating? This isn't the pointy board and there were no flames. No need to lock it. Down the road someone might want to ask a question on the same topic or add a constructive comment. Happens all the time. I come here BECAUSE I don't have to worry about heavy moderation.
    I'm trying to get fired, Tailchaser will not let me quit.

Looks as if I clicked the wrong clicky thingy! Oh the pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Whats with the moderating?
    Hey! Don't make me come over there... why, I'll change your avatar to Chuck Mangione if you keep it up!

Don't dare me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Nope... I need a budget camera that won't send me into rampage if she loses it.
    It wasn't a suggeston for you to buy that camera... That camera doesn't have a movie mode and won't work for what you want. It was just a note that I finally found the camera that I'M happy with. I took my time on the last camera purchase and compared notes/models and tested them in the store before settling on a purchase. It was a suggestion for you to do the same lest you waste your money on a purchase you aren't happy with.

And 3Bean, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to change Black Roadster's avatar to Chuck Mangione.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Hey! Don't make me come over there... why, I'll change your avatar to Chuck Mangione if you keep it up!

Don't dare me!!

I think I'll keep it!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)