Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: brakes & rotors

brakes & rotors

I'm a fairly new miata owner and I'm looking to change my own front rotors and pads

1. does anyone know where I can buy them for a decent price?
    (I have a 2002 LS)
    2. info/instructions for doing this.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check Trussville Mazda's website for good prices on parts. Ebay is another good source for Miata parts. There are a few other forum members up in Frisco who may be willing to lend a hand. Fairly easy/quick job.

Good luck and welcome!

Are you looking for OEM or aftermarket performance stuff?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Check out trackdogracing.com
    He's local (Plano)...

Speed

There are a few of us that have lunch with Gary on Saturdays. If you order something from him, save the shipping and have him bring it home on Friday and join us for lunch on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by mia-t
    I'm a fairly new miata owner and I'm looking to change my own front rotors and pads

1. does anyone know where I can buy them for a decent price?
    (I have a 2002 LS)
    Don't forget your 2002 LS uses a larger front brake pad & Rotors than a conventional Miata.

OEM p/n is N0Y9-33-23Z - Hard Suspension Front Brake Pad Kit with hardware, Trussville is a good source for OEM.

They install virtually identical to the original style, let me know if you need a hand I have changed them on my '02. BTW I had my rotors turned so didn't need to replace the rotors, but YYMV.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 07-31-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Engine Builder

Try miata.net/garage. There's tons of info there, good reading for a new Miata owner.

Set up a tech day on a non-race weekend and you'll more than likely have some help...

... of course, it'll cost you some cold Gatorade and some burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by tmanAg08
    Try miata.net/garage. There's tons of info there, good reading for a new Miata owner.
    Or just click on the link POS posted, they don't have a write up on the big brakes (yet) but they are very similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Set up a tech day on a non-race weekend and you'll more than likely have some help...

... of course, it'll cost you some cold Gatorade and some burgers.
    Yea good point! We haven't done a tech day in a while!

How many miles are on the car? I can't imagine that it need rotors already...........
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Default Brake it down

Hey, I'm at the point I need to change brake pads also.
    I thought about getting the disc from NAPA that claim to be OEM for $14.99. can this be?
    OEM pads or the Hawks?
    Maybe a tech afternoon/day together and do 'em both?
    In The Colony, shop in Sachse we could also use.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

Default Did I hijack this?

If I hi-jacked this thred please forgive and delete for me.
    TIA.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog
    If I hi-jacked this thred please forgive and delete for me.
    TIA.
    Nah... don't sweat it. Sweat. Hah. 100 degrees outside. I crack me up.

In any event, there are several of us that would be more than happy to help you swap out pads and/or rotors. For the big brake (01+ LS/03+) cars, the Mazda pads are pretty darned good. Trackdog recommends (and I won't argue a bit) the Hawk pads on the NA cars, and there's much bitter argument amongst us all on the '99/'00 cars.

As far as rotors... Someone surely has a runout gauge... But... Rotors don't need to be replaced as a matter of course, but if you have pedal pulsing, the price of Miata rotors does make replacing a good idea.

I put the Autozone rotors on our Civic that had at least 4 in warranty swaps to replace rotors that had worn unevenly (warped isn't really the right term, it's uneven runout that causes problems... true warping is hard to feel in the pedal). They've been on it for 40k miles and still turn true... And when they quit doing so... I've got free replacements waiting at Autozone...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Engine Builder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Or just click on the link POS posted, they don't have a write up on the big brakes (yet) but they are very similar.Yea good point! We haven't done a tech day in a while!

Doh! Didn't notice the link. Oh well, it can't hurt to say it again, right?

Talking Thanks!

wow thanks for all the really helpful replys! I've got about 70,000 miles on it which is somewhat high for an 02 but I got a good deal on it.

I've recruited my father to help me out on the job but if there is an upcoming tech day I'd love to check it out.

I've recruited my father to help me out on the job but if there is an upcoming tech day I'd love to check it out.
    Keep your eyes on the Impromtu Events... every now and then we'll have a tech day.

Oem

Sounds like a plan Tim, except I'm going to be outta town for a couple weekends.

Default Discount?

I ordered my rotors yesterday from the NAPA web site.
    I picked up the stock OEM pads today in McKinney at El Dorado. I don't know what they are supposed to cost but I was quaoted $55.00 per set.
    Then Angelia asked if I was doing it myself and offered a 15% discount.
    I took it.
    If this sounds reasonable call and ask for Angelia and tell her you heard about a discount. Worth the try anyway.
    Back to the list when my rotors get here.
    BTW, they were already turned once so I decided to go with new ones as I felt some slight pusling start.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

Default Got 'em

My rotors came in last night from NAPA. Can't remember the brand but they have "Made in the USA" stamped on the boxes. Hope they work as needed.

I might start tonight or tomorrow afternoon even though it's hot as I have a comittment with the "C" car for Saturday already. And the car IMHO is undriveable as is.

I went from what sounded like the wear indicators to grinding in three or four days!
    It also feels like the brakes are not releasing. When you take off you still hear the grinding until about thirty feet down the road. I parked the Red Barron until I could get parts and see what's up under there.

What type grease on the slider pins and pad shims is recommended? I need to get some as I have nothing now.

Anything to watch out for when I'm doing this? I read about the rear adjuster and will just follow the steps in the book unless I hear "Don't do that" soon.
    TIA.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast