Thread: Blackroadster sells his truck and has title questions -

Sold!

It took less than 24 hours and got really close to my asking price and cold hard US Cash.

Only one bit of concern. The guy told me he is taking it down to Mexico. He told me they won't let him bring it into Mexico until he gets it registered and Mexican plates which they do at the border. I hope he does get the title transfered but I do have the cash. I just don't want the vehicle to stay in my name.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I hope you got his info. There is a form you can fill out and a charge of $5 that will clear you of ownership. I got one from the DMV. You may be able to download it and do it online though.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    I hope you got his info. There is a form you can fill out and a charge of $5 that will clear you of ownership. I got one from the DMV. You may be able to download it and do it online though.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Got an email address? A phone number off of your caller ID? Anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Or you can do it for free by filling out the back end of the title that transfers ownership and then making a photocopy of it. As long as that guy signs it you should be good... otherwise make a reciept and have him sign it.

The form mentioned above is VTR-346, Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification available HERE about halfway down the page.

That way, regardless of what happens with the title, Texas Law Enforcement agencies won't come knocking on your door if there's a problem. It works, the last car I sold was apparently involved in a hit and run...

Congrats on the sale, by the way!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Got an email address? A phone number off of your caller ID? Anything?
    email: yes
    phone number: cell and home
    first and last name

Of course this is all the info on the interpreter, not the buyer.

I left him a VM saying I had more info for him.
    ...and across the line.

BTW,

I had this happen before with a car that was never retitled after I sold it and it was abandoned or something. I don't recall the specifics. I just told them I had sold it long before and never had another problem. This was 12 years ago though.
    ...and across the line.

BTW,

I had this happen before with a car that was never retitled after I sold it and it was abandoned or something. I don't recall the specifics. I just told them I had sold it long before and never had another problem. This was 12 years ago though.
    Since chances are good your truck is going to be a drug mule to Mexico and since the title currently shows it's owned by some gringo in McKinney (great cover for a drug mule truck), I think I'd get the VTR-346, Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification form filled out and sent in...... But that just me.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Since chances are good your truck is going to be a drug mule to Mexico and since the title currently shows it's owned by some gringo in McKinney (great cover for a drug mule truck), I think I'd get the VTR-346, Texas Motor Vehicle Transfer Notification form filled out and sent in...... But that just me.
    Eeek!

I have a "friend" who has an uncanny ability to get information doing some leg work. I will be filling out the form once I have the interpreters address.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Aren't you supposed to be on vacation?

I went to the U.S. Border Patrol website and found the following.

Section 192.2 Requirements for Exportation
    1. Basic requirements
      A person attempting to export a used self-propelled vehicle shall present to Customs, at the port of exportation, both the vehicle and the required documentation describing the vehicle to include the VIN or, if the vehicle does not have a VIN, the product identification number (PIN). Exportation of a vehicle will be permitted only upon compliance with these requirements, unless the vehicle was entered into the United States under an in-bond procedure, a carnet, a Temporary Importation Bond, or under a personal exemption for non-residents who entered the vehicle for a 1-year period.
    2. Documentation required
      1. For U.S. Titled Vehicles
        1. Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.
    I made the guy sign the back of the title. If he exports the vehicle into Mexico, it appears he will need to provide the title which will show I sold it to him.

I was told I need to contact the Mexican consulate to find out the requirements for driving into Mexico but if it has U.S. plates he will have no issues driving from Mexico into the U.S. providing there is no problems with the vehicle.

I'm hoping this is legit. I guess I can check the registration in 30 days to see if it's still in my name.
    ...and across the line.

Unless the DEA, FBI, or any of the other alphabet soup agencies come knocking on your door even after you've shown proof of sale, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not all Mexicans are drug mules...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Unless the DEA, FBI, or any of the other alphabet soup agencies come knocking on your door even after you've shown proof of sale, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Not all Mexicans are drug mules...
    I'm also worried about financial liability not that they'll get much!
    ...and across the line.

I'm also worried about financial liability not that they'll get much!
    If you had him sign the title then there should be nothing that you are liable for. Just make sure you get a nice deposit slip from your bank showing the cash going in as well.

And so the Valdeez sails off into the sunset. Farewell oily mess.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

bah.. rules schmules..

Cars go into mexico all teh time... He'll have to have the title in hand to 'nationalize' the car in mexico. Only one out of every few thousand cars actually gets stopped on the way *out* of the US, so he won't have to have teh title just to leave the country (should, but won't have to) Get that form filled out and you'll have zero responsibilty. Importing cars from the US into Mexico is a HUGE business here. (here being in Mexico where I'm sitting right now) US cars are just plain cheaper due to the taxes.

congrats on teh sale...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I have the form but it appears I need his signature and it's a felony to falsify.
    ...and across the line.

Good news. Went to the DMV and they gave me a form to fill out and ship to Austin. Just needed to include a $5 check.
    ...and across the line.

YAY!

Always good to cover your ASSets...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!