Thread: AC Conversion and Repair.

Default AC Conversion and Repair.

OK... I have been doing some work on my A/C System, and figured I should do a write-up. My A/C started cycling on and off last fall, and when I tried to use it this spring, is was completely dead. I lived without for a while, but finally decided to deal with it a few weeks ago. Here is what I have experienced and done.

Step 1, research. My system was R-12, so I knew I needed to pay someone to fix things, or convert it. All of the parts stores seem to carry R-134A conversion kits, but I still wanted to learn a little about it before buying one. At first search, I found site after site that said the conversion kits didn't work. They all had various reasons why, but I soon noticed one common denominator. None of the authors had actually tried one of the conversion kits. They were preaching theory, and what the "experts" said. The problem is, the "experts" are always the companies and shops that want you to pay them $$$ for the parts and labor to do it the "right" way. A little more research revealed that every testimonial I found had found success using the cheap conversion kit. That was enough for me.

So it is time to try the conversion kit. I picked up the EZ Chill RKR-8 kit from Walmart for for around $40. It includes 3 cans of High Mileage R-134a and Oil, trigger dispenser with built-in gauge, adapters and fittings, label, and “How-To” CD.

The conversion is so easy, my 3 year old could do it. You simply screw on the 2 adapters. Really... that's it.

Next, it is time to charge the system. You attached the trigger/gauge assembly to a can, and plug it in to the low side plug. This is the one that the is by the firewall on the 1.6. You start the car, run the AC on full, and pull the trigger. You need to pause to shake the can every once and a while, but that is it. If it wasn't for a leak I found, I would have been done.

So I had a leak. A big leak. This wasn't a leaky O-ring, this was a gapping hole. It appears I had been sloppy in the adjustment of my hot side intercooler pipe and it was laying right against the condenser. I guess the heat slowly melted through the condenser. Time for a new Condenser.

Channelmaniac was wanting the A/C system out of his future SPEC, so I traded him the labor in ripping it out for the parts that came off. Good Deal!!! I had about a week between knowing that I was replacing the condenser, and having it, and extra time for Titus is always a bad thing. I am a sucker for tools, and I found both an A/C Manifold Gauge Set and an A/C Vacuum Pump on sale at HarborFreight.com. Being that the system had been open to the air for who knows how long, I figured a vacuum was a good idea. The manifold is required to properly use the vacuum. $45 on the C.C. and they were on the way!

OK, now HF is slow as molasses on shipping. It was 6 days after ordering that I finally got confirmation that the parts where on it's way via stage coach from California. In that time I got the used condenser and had some free time to install it. I had also spent about $3 on a bunch of o-rings, as I figured I might as well replace any old O-ring that i came in contact with. I swore to myself that I was only going to install the condenser. I would wait for the vacuum to arrive before recharging. So then the condenser is installed. And I am staring at the EZ Chill kit with 2 cans of R-134A sitting on the shelf. I'm hot, and I want to feel cold air. What the hell.... I throw a can on there. It works. It may not be as cold as it could be, but it is now working. That was Sunday. It's survived the 45 minutes of stop and go on I-35 at 5pm yesterday and still blows cold.

Today my Vacuum and manifold arrived. If I ever need to replace anything on the system, I will use it, but until then, it will sit in my garage. It is available to rent for $5.

WOOHOO!

Glad it all worked for you!

For those that are curious, he didn't need the hard lines so we cut them off & crimped them to keep air from getting to the dryer. This way he didn't have to buy one of those too.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

That's exactly what I did to my system. 3rd or 4th summer and still blowing cold. Good to know you have those new tools, I think you'll be an A/C expert and a lot of new friends next summer.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    Good to know you have those new tools, I think you'll be an A/C expert and a lot of new friends next summer.
    I sure hope the tools get some use, and yes, I do feel like I know a lot more about AC then I ever thought I would.

Good job on the o-rings, most people don't do those... the only thing I would suggest is getting to the o-rings that are under the dash if you ever pull the dash; eventually those will be a failure point.

I'm just glad that my dad is a licensed A/C guy, I never have to do the work on A/C issues
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Good job on the o-rings, most people don't do those... the only thing I would suggest is getting to the o-rings that are under the dash if you ever pull the dash; eventually those will be a failure point.

I'm just glad that my dad is a licensed A/C guy, I never have to do the work on A/C issues
    Lucky you! I need to search out a diagram that shows where all of the o-rings are (Que POS or Sammm with a link for me). I replaced 5, but I think I will probably replace any other accessible ones the next time I service the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Lucky you! I need to search out a diagram that shows where all of the o-rings are (Que POS or Sammm with a link for me). I replaced 5, but I think I will probably replace any other accessible ones the next time I service the system.
    This sounds like another project when I pull the dash.

Adam, Todd, might I use your expertise in this matter? The A/C on the Miata is barely cool. I already have R134a.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    This sounds like another project when I pull the dash.

Adam, Todd, might I use your expertise in this matter? The A/C on the Miata is barely cool. I already have R134a.
    Count me in....

(I prefer Diet Dr Pepper and I'm cool with pizza or Chinese takeout)

Crazy thing is I don't want to work on the car until it gets cooler.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)