Thread: Brake light issues!

Default Brake light issues!

I'm having some brake light issues with my 93 Accord. I replaced the right brake light bulb but it still doesn't work. I checked the fuse - the same fuse also takes care of both brake lights and the horn (and the left light and horn work just fine). So now what? Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit - Forgot to add.. the brake light has two elements... the one that acts as a taillight works just fine... the brake light element won't come on. And I've tried two different new bulbs.

Do you have a meter so you can see if you are getiting 12V to the right hand fixture?

I came in for lunch and was reading my Honda workshop manual... it seems there are a couple of places I have to check for continuity.... I'll try those next.

Is this on the trunk lid or on the body of the car?

If it's on the trunk lid then you may have a broken wire where it moves as the trunk lid opens and closes... just like the 3rd brake light on the Miata.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

The third brake light is out as well. I did a continuity test on the bulbs and they are all fine. I did a voltage test on the fixtures themselves and got nothing. The fuses are all fine. I don't get it... something somewhere is a miss.

Argh!

Its got to be a wiring problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Its got to be a wiring problem.
    Yup... I took it down to my favorite independent Honda/Acura shop in Lewisville, and within minutes they knew it was the harness and control unit. So, for 20 for the new harness, 25 for the new control unit, and 30 for the labor (the tech was quite the contortionist) I'll have new right and high center tail lights!

Sweet! Gotta love an inexpensive fix!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Sweet! Gotta love an inexpensive fix!
    Me too! It blew me away how quickly he found it. I described the problem, what I checked, and then he just jumped in the trunk and found the issue. The control unit had a pin that had just rotted out. By the way, the name of the place is Danny's Honda/Acura Service in Lewisville... no affiliation, just a very happy customer!