Thread: Oil Consumption

Suspension Modder

Default Oil Consumption

I brought the '06 LE in for oil the other day. Told them I was down a quart for the second time in a row. I thought you'd all get a kick out of the response.

1. Mechanic couldn't read the dipstick. Says it looked full to him.
    2. The book says the car consumes 1 QT every 1500 miles.

My comment to the service guy was "So I guess every third car in here has a blown engine, since after 4500 miles the car would consume 3 Qts of Oil"

To his credit, he said "Good point".

Has anyone had the oil go down MORE than a quart between oil changes?

Mark
    2006 Velocity Red, Limited Edition #1202, Red Leather
    Roadster II Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Nautilus, Redline, Momo, AudioLink, Mud Guards
    http://www.miata3.com

The RSX manual calls for 1qt every 1k miles.... Helps keep them from having to replace a lot of engines I guess. I'm burning 1qt/1750 miles or so.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I have hardly burned any in 1500. Maybe my car is just weird. And no I'm not kidding. Or it might just be that I have really perfected my super secret break-in formula.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

I think it's the Mobil 1 I use... dunno. I'm switching to Castrol next change I think, just to see if there's any difference
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Maybe honda is using too thin of oil in it from the start. I know that a lot of the car manufacturers are putting thinner oils in to "increase" fuel economy.

I would bet that you wouldn't burn any if you switched to 10w-30 instead of 5w-20 they probably call for.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Who knew they were putting Wankels in the Miatas?
    Actually, my '95 RX7 didn't burn oil. The way it pinned me back in the seat, maybe I wouldn't have cared if it did.

Mark
    2006 Velocity Red, Limited Edition #1202, Red Leather
    Roadster II Exhaust, Eibach Springs, Nautilus, Redline, Momo, AudioLink, Mud Guards
    http://www.miata3.com

Pretty much all Honda engines right now use 5-30. And it's hit or miss on which ones burn oil and which ones don't.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    Pretty much all Honda engines right now use 5-30. And it's hit or miss on which ones burn oil and which ones don't.
    Wonder if thats the same deal on the NC's engine??

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    Hey... my '97 takes 5-30 and its worst consumption over 5k miles has been a half quart. Hope it stays that way another 100k miles...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Hey... my '97 takes 5-30 and its worst consumption over 5k miles has been a half quart. Hope it stays that way another 100k miles...
    My '93 is about the same..

Well as far as RSX-S go, I'm using 10W-30 Mobil 1 Extended Perfomance. The manual and Helms recomends 10W-30 for Type-S if the temp will not fall below 20 degrees F. Helms does say however the 5W30 is preferred to cover the whole temp range. Base RSX's require 5W-20.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

that sucks. Change weights, not brands. I would be bitching up a strom if I were you.

Although manufacturers may say it's okay to burn oil like that...its really not. I think its a bullshit allowance...and would exacerbate the issue to get them to fix the problem, although that may not aid a problem to get some warranty work. Even my 10 and 15 year old cars don't burn a drop of oil over 10,000 mile changes.