Thread: MG w/ GM power...coming soon

Default MG w/ GM power...coming soon

Shame it won't be from the factory, though.

A buddy of mine recently picked up a '74.5 MGB GT showing 43k miles on the ticker. The poor thing obviously was not garage kept, judging by the cracked paint and extremely faded carpet. It needs a little love, but...

Just to make things interesting, he'll be stuffing the very built V6 from his Cavalier into the MG. Yes, this will obviously require a different transmission, among other things. Apparently, though, he's done his research and will have the car together by the end of the year.
    Here's the donor engine...

Should make for a rather, um...interesting street car.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Is he going to make it FWD? If not, what's he going to have to do to ensure proper coolant flow for RWD applications with that engine?

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Should that matter? Chrysler used the G54B Mitubitshi engine in several FWD applications. It was originally used in a rear wheel drive Dodge Challenger, D50 applicatio, as well as the Dodge raider/Mitsu Montero and Dodge Conquest/Mitsu Starion. Then they used them in Reliant K, Minivans and lebarons
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

BTW, I think the guy should rebuild the MG engine and modify it however he sees fit to get the power he wants. Only one car I know of that I wouldn't mind changing engines to a different manufacturer, Jaguar prior to Fords take over.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    BTW, I think the guy should rebuild the MG engine and modify it however he sees fit to get the power he wants.
    That same thing I was thinking, I had a "built" straight 6 in a TR6 in my youth, very few things could catch it.

Ya would think a V6 out of a Camaro, Firebird or S10 would be an easier swap since they already are set up for RWD.

Heheheheh... I can completely understand the thoughts about using a fwd engine. All the physical change needed to the engine proper is a different timing cover, as it turns out. It's basically the same as a 2.8 found in some older S10s and other cars/trucks.

Plans call for a custom 5-speed, so there won't be any bellhousing issues.
    Right now, the toughest fitment should be exhaust and intercooler plumbing. The full T4 should be interesting in such a tiny engine bay. I've been told the 2000 lb car will likely be running about 400whp, give or take a little, once the computer is dialed-in.

I think Sharpie would appreciate the deep footwells in this car: I won't be able to push my shoes into the engine bay while hanging on for dear life.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates