Thread: Chevrolet Monza???

Default Chevrolet Monza???

So I'm driving down Marsh last night, and I notice the newer looking econo-sedan in front of me says Chevrolet Monza on the back. I think to myself "Wow... GM is so irrelevant that they brought back the Monza name and we didn't even notice!"

A little searching revealed that that isn't the case... It appears that GM marketed the Opel Corsa as the Chevrolet Monza in Mexico up until a few years ago. Now the car i saw had Texas plates, and I thought it was near impossible to register a non-US car in the US? Strange.

yep... that's a MExico car... I see them left and right down here..

And FWIW It is pretty much impossible to register a Mexico car in the US. I'd bet money that the plates on that car probably didn't actually 'belong' to that car
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

My thoughts exactly..........

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    My mom used to have a '79 Monza... what a piece of crap that car was.
    Especially if it had the V8; had to pull the engine to get to the left rear spark plug! There was also a Corvair Monza in the mid-sixties. At least, that's what my grandfather told me
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

My first car was a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird which was a rebadged Monza... Mine, unfortunately, had the 4-banger in it with a four speed... very very weak car....

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

My sisters first car was a 1980 Sunfire Formula which was a vastly upgraded sticker package over the lowly Chevy!

Plus it had a V6!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    There was also a Corvair Monza in the mid-sixties. At least, that's what my grandfather told me
    That's true. I was there.

My first car was a 1949 Ford Tudor Sedan. V-8, 100 hp @ 3600 rpm. 3 on the tree with overdrive. Bought it used for $150, almost a month's wages in 1964.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I always thought the fastback Monzas were good looking cars for their time. Crappy, but attractive. Hmm, reminds me of a few exes...