Thread: C6 Corvette

Default C6 Corvette

Saw this on Miata.net. I take it the Top Gear Guys aren't Corvette fans!

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/To...orvette_hi.wmv

BTW. Big File!

Yeah, I saw that as well. Too bad they don't seem to understand the difference between leaf springs and a live axle (like a typical pickup truck), and a transverse composite leaf spring with double wishbone suspension.

Usually Clarkson & Top Gear are pretty funny and informative, but they really seem to just not "get it" when it comes to the Corvette.

I also find it highly suspicious that the C6 Corvette with 400hp & 400 lb-ft of torque lost a drag race to an NSX that weighs almost as much, yet has only 290hp and 224 lb-ft of torque. My old RX-7 would walk on stock NSXs with ease, yet I always lost to well driven C5 Corvettes.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

referring to the rear leaf spring suspension as "Vietnamese" kind of sums it up. It did post a better time than the Exige though.

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    referring to the rear leaf spring suspension as "Vietnamese" kind of sums it up. It did post a better time than the Exige though.
    It's way better than you average OX cart.

The 2005 suspension, while similar in configuration to that of '97-'04, is all-new. No major parts carry over. There are: new front and rear suspension cradles, new front and rear control arms, new front and rear knuckles, new steering rack, new tie rods, new springs, new stabilizer bars, new shocks, new wheels, new tires and a lot of other new small pieces. The suspension redesign was driven by: 1) a goal of improved ride and handling, 2) a goal of improved steering and 3) a 1.2-in. increase in wheelbase required by a longer, five-speed automatic transmission in the other car built off the GM245 platform, the Cadillac XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    ....I also find it highly suspicious that the C6 Corvette with 400hp & 400 lb-ft of torque lost a drag race to an NSX that weighs almost as much, yet has only 290hp and 224 lb-ft of torque....
    Maybe it was an automatic with a 2.73 diff?
    Al
    2011 Cayman S
    PCA

Quote Originally Posted by thecarconnection.com
    GM Pulls Mr. Madonna's 'Vette Ad

An advertisement filmed by Guy Ritchie for the new Corvette has been yanked from the air because of complaints over the driving portrayed in it. The commercial, teamed to the Rolling Stones song "Jumpin' Jack Flash," has been aired during NBC's Olympic coverage, and shows a daydreaming young boy speeding in the Corvette through city streets. The Center for Auto Safety and Consumers Union were among the groups complaining over the advertising. The director Ritchie is the director of movies like Swept Away, which featured his wife, Madonna.
    Who would complain about this ad? http://www.chevrolet.com/m/corvette/video/c6_1.swf

"An advertisement filmed by Guy Ritchie for the new Corvette has been yanked from the air because of complaints over the driving portrayed in it...<snip>... the Center for Auto Safety and Consumers Union were among the groups complaining over the advertising."
    Yeah. I know I was really tempted to go drive my Miata through a big 'ol stormdrain pipe (upside-down) because of that advertisement.

It's not enough that every car ad has to have that stupid stuff on the bottom of the screen saying something like "professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt. Drive safely and always obey all traffic laws. Blah, blah, blah...", now we can't even dream of having any fun. At the rate we're going, the only type of programming the guv'ment is eventually going to allow is Tele-tubby reruns.

I really like the new Corvette. And while I'm disappointed with the review that Top Gear gave it, if I had $45-50k that I had to spend on a new car, I'd have a hard time deciding between an Elise and the new Corvette...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I really like the new Corvette. And while I'm disappointed with the review that Top Gear gave it, if I had $45-50k that I had to spend on a new car, I'd have a hard time deciding between an Elise and the new Corvette...
    GASP!! Don't blasphemy the Elise in such a way! Don't get me wrong, I like the vette, but I don't see that there is any choice in the matter. The Elise is definitely one of the few cars I would actually physically have sex with. The new ferarri 430 is the other one that quickly comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    GM Pulls Mr. Madonna's 'Vette Ad

An advertisement filmed by Guy Ritchie for the new Corvette has been yanked from the air because of complaints over the driving portrayed in it. The commercial, teamed to the Rolling Stones song "Jumpin' Jack Flash," has been aired during NBC's Olympic coverage, and shows a daydreaming young boy speeding in the Corvette through city streets. The Center for Auto Safety and Consumers Union were among the groups complaining over the advertising. The director Ritchie is the director of movies like Swept Away, which featured his wife, Madonna.
    Who would complain about this ad? http://www.chevrolet.com/m/corvette/video/c6_1.swf
    My response from the board:
    Originally posted by altiain:
    Originally posted by birdman:
    I really feel sorry for the uptight, self-righteous, holier-than-thou nabobs who have so little joie de vivre that they have nothing better to do than lean on others who celebrate automotive life, and dreams.
    I don't feel sorry for them. In fact, I'd rather they got hit by a bus. Preferably a bus run on CNG or hydrogen fuel cells, just to double the irony.

Iain
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I don't feel sorry for them. In fact, I'd rather they got hit by a bus. Preferably a bus run on CNG or hydrogen fuel cells, just to double the irony.

Iain
    That's some quality work Sparky!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    The Elise is definitely one of the few cars I would actually physically have sex with. The new ferarri 430 is the other one that quickly comes to mind.
    I really don't think that is an image that I want in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    The Elise is definitely one of the few cars I would actually physically have sex with. The new ferarri 430 is the other one that quickly comes to mind.
    I really don't think that is an image that I want in my head.
    Geez that is spooky! Maybe we need to pitch in and get EvilSpeeder one of these deals!
    At least I won't have to worry about my car so much when he is around!

Obviously they didn't want to Corvette to win the race, as I think it would have done much better with a proper driver. This guy is a and he is not to well educated on cars to say the least. BTW, The only car I would ever purchase that came from Great Britton is the new Mini, which is build by their German friends

You know what they say......Buy an English car to get you there, and just about anything else to get you home.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.