Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What gives?

Default What gives?

AJ and I did a couple of "test" runs side by side and he still puts on me. I've got the light flywheel the sticky tires BBS wheels 2.5 catback air filter and rollbar. Why would his car be that much faster?
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

Lighter driver? J/K
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Another possibility is different engines. Last time we all went to ATS for a Dyno Day, NA and NB engines could vary in stock HP by as much as 10-15%. His could just be on the higher end and your's on the lower. Just a thought...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    AJ and I did a couple of "test" runs side by side and he still puts on me. I've got the light flywheel the sticky tires BBS wheels 2.5 catback air filter and rollbar. Why would his car be that much faster?
    One thing you may want to try is switch drivers and try again, maybe BAM is getting the jump on ya.

The dyno knows fo sho!

S.

Doesn't BAM run a test pipe too? Stock cats are pretty restrictive.

Oooo... Makes me want to run against AJ.

All kidding aside, weight might have something to do with it. AJ's car is pretty optionless, thus light weight.

Could also be the driver as AJ drives like that ALL THE TIME!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Next time you make some of these covert runs, be sure YOU initiate the acceleration. (Make him react to you.) If you keep ahead of him, it was driver edge. If he gains on you/passes you, it's his car.

Test pipes are fun, though!
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

AJ's car is pretty strong for what he has in it. He kept up pretty good when I had my 1.8-swapped 93 (with I/H/test-pipe).
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

The thing is if we do a roll on from say 30 mph I'll pull on him. But if we go from a dead stop I jump first and then he pulls on me. We thought about the cat and weight diff, but didn't think it would matter that much.

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

I think we should discuss over sushi.

when?

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

can't make it today, got alot of crap to do before going to work

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Next time you make some of these covert runs, be sure YOU initiate the acceleration. (Make him react to you.) If you keep ahead of him, it was driver edge. If he gains on you/passes you, it's his car.
    we did do that. plus i was power shifting. both runs were from a stop, where he got the jump and i had to react. he jumps in from a stop untill his back bumper gets to my front (or less) and then by the end of third ill be all the way out front.

Quote Originally Posted by driftdevil View Post
    HEH, you're mentioning your mods that make you faster, rollbar is questionable in a drag race. How are you shifting?

maybe its the maintenance...
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
    HEH, you're mentioning your mods that make you faster, rollbar is questionable in a drag race. How are you shifting?
    That is a good point, the rollbar is what 40-50 lbs? Then BAM is a skinny bastard, that can add up.

how much weight difference are we talking about, about 100lbs or less? car jack, spare tire, oil weight... i dunno just throwing suggestions...

hahaa, i do know bam spent a considerable time just waxing his car.. was it like a week or so?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
    how much weight difference are we talking about, about 100lbs or less?
    I bet there is close to 200 lbs in difference between BAM's base car with his 40lb twig of a body and DDs optioned car with rollbar and his more substantial body mass. Lets put my fat in his passenger seat next time and see if it makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast