Thread: As if the police needed one MORE excuse to mess with people...

Default As if the police needed one MORE excuse to mess with people...

Delightful news out of Canada.

One more way for the government to us any time it pleases.

S.

A ticket for leaving the car idling?? Is the link correct??? Seems to fall under the who give a rats ash catagory.

But I'll play along! Man that is so ::Will::!!!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    A ticket for leaving the car idling?? Is the link correct??? Seems to fall under the who give a rats ash catagory.

But I'll play along! Man that is so ::Will::!!!
    Talk about ::Will::, Texas has talked of a ban of drive-through windows at banks, restaurants and pharmacies to battle North Texas Smog.

How about the city engineers work on the damn stop lights before we go banning stuff. There is one on my way to work that lets4 cars turn left to get onto I30. There are usually 15 cars waiting at all times during the morning.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I know Ft. Worth will ticket you for similiar. If you leave your car running while you run in to 7-11 for example, they can/will slap a fine on you.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I know Ft. Worth will ticket you for similiar. If you leave your car running while you run in to 7-11 for example, they can/will slap a fine on you.
    That is also an issue with them not wanting to have your car stolen. The smog is a reason to I am sure. What about these idiots that have the diesel trucks? They seem to think they are driving semis with sleeper cabs or something and leave them running everywhere. It seems like they want to show off that they have a loud diesel truck. With the new diesel engines the restart problems are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    What about these idiots that have the diesel trucks? They seem to think they are driving semis with sleeper cabs or something and leave them running everywhere. It seems like they want to show off that they have a loud diesel truck.
    Dave04 will be here in 5, 4, 3, 2, cue Dave!

Yeah... Texas has a statute for leaving a running vehicle unattended... I think the issue with the Canadian thing is that you can get fined even if you are sitting in the car.

What's interesting is that the article specifically mentions trying to stop people from doing extended warm ups in the winter. My soon-to-be-wife used to live in Minnesota and tells me that you HAVE to up there... oil get real thick at -20F. So you're going to either get a ticket or kill your motor trying to drive with frozen oil.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Under the city's anti-idling bylaw, most vehicles left idling for more than three minutes in a 60-minute period are subject to a $100 fine, plus a $25 provincial surcharge.
    That's freakin' ridiculous. Under this law, I'd get a ticket every morning waiting to cross FM544.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

damn... am I that predictable?

Unfortunately, I agree... I shut mine off at the pump... and I just leave it plugged in when it gets real cold at night... its really not needed.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Good job 3bean...

Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Unfortunately, I agree... I shut mine off at the pump... and I just leave it plugged in when it gets real cold at night... its really not needed.
    I'll idle my diesels at the pump if there's a passenger inside and it's hot or cold out... Diesels are NOT an ignition source, so you're not gonna go boom. But if it's just me, I'll shut it off. Whoa unto they who must enforce the 3 minute idling restriction, though.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I can just picture cops all over town counting down the seconds.

...reduce their vehicle idling even further, by reducing warm-up idle to just turning on the engine and going...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    ... the article specifically mentions trying to stop people from doing extended warm ups in the winter. My soon-to-be-wife used to live in Minnesota and tells me that you HAVE to up there... oil get real thick at -20F. So you're going to either get a ticket or kill your motor trying to drive with frozen oil.
    Dave's right, this is ! Most owners manuals suggest letting the car come to operating temp before driving, even in warm climates. Having lived in upstate NY, jumping in and zooming off when it is below zero is a great way to end up walking. Which is really what you want to do in sub-zero temps...

That's right it's illegal to leave your car running while you are not in it.
    We had a cop take our keys once, we got the car started anyway and took off down the road where he was waiting and gave us a ticket.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    That's right it's illegal to leave your car running while you are not in it.
    We had a cop take our keys once, we got the car started anyway and took off down the road where he was waiting and gave us a ticket.
    And he didn't, say, chase you down?

S.

we were at a dead end so the cop knew we would only be coming from one direction so he waited in the middle of the road.....still dont understand why he didnt wait at the car, guess he wanted to see if we could get it started without the keys

to start with we were just taking a leak in the woods and just left the car running.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    ... we were just taking a leak in the woods ...
    Why was this a group activity?

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Why was this a group activity?
    Billy, please do not answer this question... we really don't want to know... the mental image alone is bad enough...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."