Thread: Computer Question - Memory

Default Computer Question - Memory

Ok so we have an old Compaq Presario 1700 (17XL260) laptop. I'd like to bump the memory up on it, it has a whopping 64MB now running windows 98.

As some of you may already know I am quite cheap. So who's got the best prices going these days? Is it worth taking the risk on EBay for memory?

In advance I appreciate your help!

Go to pricewatch.com and search there.

Or you can go to crucial.com if you want it to work...

Default Re: Computer Question - Memory

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    As some of you may already know I am quite cheap.
    Enough said.

Seriously though, TC is right. If you want it to work properly, then stick with Crucial or Kingston.

Crucial
    Shorter link

Kingston
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

OK well how much memory would you kids recomend that I add to a portable running windows 98?

That all depends on what else you are running, personally I wouldn't have less than 256MB on a system. Then again you should see all the *edit* stuff I have open.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    OK well how much memory would you kids recomend that I add to a portable running windows 98?
    I dunno about memory, but I'd sure get rid of Win98...

Anything more than 128 won't help much as Win98 runs out of resources long before it'll use up 128 MB.

Tell us about the portable and we'll tell you about Linux...

Don't forget, First Saturday is coming up!

That's a place you can look for laptop memory too...

And I'm there EVERY month...

www.firstsaturday.com

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

With careful review of feedback, I think eBay is fine.

Bought some OEM memory for someone's ThinkPad 600E long ago and it was far cheaper than employee pricing for the same chip.

It's worked ever since.
    Al
    2011 Cayman S
    PCA

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

buy a 128mb stick and be done for now. If you upgrade the Operating system you will still have another slot open and you can add some more at another time.

I for one, don't/won't buy used or cheap, as it can be very expensive if your time is worth anything at all. Bad memory, can cause the system to corrupt files and crash your O/S, or worse loose your data.

See above site.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I'm a cheap bastard so I went with an E-Bay deal for $34.00 for 128MB including shipping that I found!

The computer seems much happier!

I greatly appreciate everyone’s help!

If you dont allready, try defragging you hard-drive
    click start, then programs, then accessories, then system tools, then disk defragmenter. It puts all your files back in order on your hard drive for faster access

Also download Lavasoft's free Adaware client http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and run that to get rid of spyware.

Thats it for todays Computer tips with Austin, We will see you tomorrow!
    Tadpole - 94 black/tan with racing beat type 2 front bumper, Yokohama es100

Chassis Designer

Default memory

appears I am too late but will throw this out.
    ON Compaq you can buy from their website and get a lot of support another place to buy is FRYS Electronics in Arlington and Dallas
    With some PC { mine is one } increasing the memory does more harm or no good at all . If you can find someone that can tell you how to clock your Pc then the 64 may be fine.
    I increased mine to 556 meg of memory then down to 192 then to 128 went back to the 64 and found a site on the net that walked me through the clocking of my pc and then back up to 256 I have a different model so it wont work on yours and have deleted the web site system crash
    Please don't ask me to explain the clocking thing because I do not remember just know it worked
    Also run Lavasofts AD AWARE as suggested {Austin has right company just wrong spelling } make sure it is not ADAWARE from another company there is a difference in the two.
    Clean out your temp files do a system scan and defrag
    Now this sounds like a pitch and it is sorta if you are into gambling ,however you will find a lot of help on here www.gonegambling.com
    You will have to be a member to ask questions and they ask for you to support the site . If you do join it put doc3738 down as the person that refered you