Thread: Thoughts on MSM vs. Si

Default Thoughts on MSM vs. Si

Some random observations about differences between owning and driving the Si versus the MSM:

* Having owned a roadster, I am now much more likely to drive with the windows down and the sunroof open. It feels weird to seal the car up and crank the A/C.

* Chassis stiffness has improved a lot in the years since the NB was designed. Even my wife's Saabaru feels a tad soft compared to the stiffness of the Civic's chassis.

* Honda's VTEC effect feels a lot like a small turbocharger. The engines are actually remarkably similar in some ways to drive. Both have good torque down low for general traffic carving and both will surprise you in the upper ranges of the tach.

* The Honda only weighs 300 lbs more than the MSM, but it feels huge in comparison. I can't see the hood. At all. And it's very disconcerting.

* Honda's split tach/digital speedo dash design is the Way Forward. It's absolutely superior to the traditional side-by-side set-up. I think you need an analog tach, but the digital speedo is great.

* The Si's seats are lightyears better than the MSM's.

* The Si is a much better daily driver, but there are times when the MSM was pure magic. Those times are more rare in a tin-top car. Then again, I don't miss long freeway slogs in the Miata.

S.

I think you posted in the wrong forum.

Here you go.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I think you posted in the wrong forum.

Here you go.

S. gets the

Or there is H-T
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Some good observations. I feel some of the same things about the RX-8 - on those beautiful afternoons and evenings I miss being able to put the top down (and I've got no sunroof to open, either), but the chassis stiffness of the '8 is light years ahead of the NB. So much so that the '8 rides amazingly well over some of the rough back roads on my daily commute, even with the shock settings jacked up to race levels. No crashing, no jiggling, no delayed responses.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Some good observations. I feel some of the same things about the RX-8 - on those beautiful afternoons and evenings I miss being able to put the top down (and I've got no sunroof to open, either), but the chassis stiffness of the '8 is light years ahead of the NB. So much so that the '8 rides amazingly well over some of the rough back roads on my daily commute, even with the shock settings jacked up to race levels. No crashing, no jiggling, no delayed responses.
    That is the one reason I would go away from a droptop. I dont know if I could though. Driving home from work with the top down is so relaxing for me. The shakes and rattles dont really bother me much.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Some random observations about differences between owning and driving the Si versus the MSM:
    * Chassis stiffness has improved a lot in the years

* Honda's VTEC effect feels a lot like a small turbocharger.

* The Honda .... feels huge in comparison. I can't see the hood.
    S.
    I had a world of difference come my way when I went from a '90 DA (2 door Integra LS) to an '06 DC5S (RSX Type-S). The RSX felt huge and tall at first, but most of the other differences made up for it. Having 6 gears, i-VTEC, a 2 L, and non-leaking windows is pretty sweet. The DA did feel more planted than the DC5 but it also had full poly bushings and some Yokahama Parada Spec-2's on 16" Rota Slips. One of the mods I got recently is the Type-R 22mm rear sway. I heard that it is a pretty common upgrade for the EP3 chassis as well and it can be had for about $85 new. I do miss the old DA seats. They were a little uncomftable on long drives but they gripped my butt a lot better. I slide around in the RSX seats. I guess the leather doesn't really help either.

I am a little disappointed that it didn't come with the LSD that you have in the Si. Eventually I'd like to get a Quaife ATB.
    Last edited by Nexus Flux; 10-05-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Edit for length
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

As far as tech type stuff goes www.k20a.org/forum/ is pretty good. You colud also try CRSX for lots of DC5 info, but there is also plenty of EP3 stuff there too.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP