Thread: coilovers

Question coilovers

Has anyone tried these yet? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-97...QQcmdZViewItem

If so, how good are they? are they won't it?
    driven without a cause

i got a pair of them for the NB... they shipped pretty fast and it comes with everything you need for the install. I can't comment on fitment or ride comfort as mine were never installed....
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't. What can and most likely will happen is using inferior manufactured springs that will sag in short time. Also if you are going to improve your setup, do it right the first time. Miatas are the best handling cars out there and doing it right will keep a smile on your face every day. We can recommend a setup for you based on your driving habits if you like. Suggest you do not skip on the suspension. Also recommend sway bars first if you are thinking of improving handling.

Let us know if we can help.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Here is some info on similar coilovers, people seem to have mixed results with them:
    http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...ebay+coilovers

I bought a set that I was going to use with AGXs but chickened out and got a set of TEIN Flex coilovers. The TEINs have been great and Gary carries them locally, I bought mine from AdrenalineRacing.com.

I sold my Ebay coilovers (unused) to Altiain and he doesn't have a Miata anymore so he'd probably sell them.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I sold my Ebay coilovers (unused) to Altiain and he doesn't have a Miata anymore so he'd probably sell them.
    I would, but they went out with a pile of other stuff to Goodwill when we moved. Sorry.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Imagine the ricer that finds those at goodwill. You will have made his day Altiain.

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

I as well have considered giving those a try. Sadly I can say that everything done to the Miata has been bought off of ebay, including the coming/arrived exhaust system.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Imagine the ricer that finds those at goodwill. You will have made his day Altiain.
    Y'know the kind of person who saves everything away somewhere, just in case there may come a day in the distant future that they can use it?

I'm not that person.

Honestly, I would've dumped them in the trash, since I didn't want to pack them, move them to the new house, and unpack them, but my wife put them on the Goodwill pile instead. I'm sure they'll end up on some '82 Corolla. Not my problem!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I suspect a $10 set of "lowering springs" wouldn't be any better than cutting your stock springs down for free. But that's based on nothing more than my own scepticism.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

There is a difference. If you get the cheap 10 dollars ones and dont like them, then you can just put your factory springs back on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
    There is a difference. If you get the cheap 10 dollars ones and dont like them, then you can just put your factory springs back on!!!
    Good point
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Well,

I have what looks like some kind of aftermarket springs on my racer... I'll be pulling them off & selling them CHEAP when I put on the suspension kit.

Time is the issue... Need to get the motor swapped and a couple of AutoX'es under my belt so I can order the kit from Mazda.

Anyone know if they take Amex? I've been squirreling my mileage money away building a credit on that card.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Anyone know if they take Amex?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    I suspect a $10 set of "lowering springs" wouldn't be any better than cutting your stock springs down for free. But that's based on nothing more than my own scepticism.
    I got an extra set of stock springs for free and tried it a few yrs ago on my first Miata and it worked fine. Supposedly it is the same as Racing Beats street springs just without the powercoating if you only cut exactly one coil off the factory springs on a NA Miata. Obviously there was not a huge impovement over stock but did lower it just enough to not look like a 4x4...but still high compared to any good setups.

But like Gary said, don't skimp on the suspension. Do it right the first time. I love the Ground Control with AGX shocks, but after adding the FM rear shock mounts that pushed my suspension price fairly close to a full coilover set up like the much loved and talked about Tien Flex. If I would have saved up a few extra months then I'd have a better setup.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

After reading that miata.net thread that miatamoto linked, I'm getting these. Everyone on that thread that actually installed them seemed to love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_nc View Post
    After reading that miata.net thread that miatamoto linked, I'm getting these. Everyone on that thread that actually installed them seemed to love them.
    Keep us informed on how everything goes.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

No,
    Have not tried this route either? Price and bid are unbelievable. Try 'em, and for the price, if you don't like 'em; keep saving for the goods. I went w/ Spax Coilovers and am waiting to see how long they go. Installation went easy enough, and didn't have to adjust for ride height as springs lowered car 1.5".
    I too try to keep it within budget, but suspension can always be improved upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fain View Post
    No,
    Have not tried this route either? Price and bid are unbelievable. Try 'em, and for the price, if you don't like 'em; keep saving for the goods. I went w/ Spax Coilovers and am waiting to see how long they go. Installation went easy enough, and didn't have to adjust for ride height as springs lowered car 1.5".
    I too try to keep it within budget, but suspension can always be improved upon.
    i have the SPAX RSX kit, and it sucks. takes forever for the springs to set in, and they are far too soft. bottoms out over everything. i have the shocks set at 6 and they are getting softer. they feel like worn out shocks i have to set them harder periodically. they are not very old, about 6 months old. im sick of dealing with them now. are yours the same?