Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the big brakes make a big difference?

Default Do the big brakes make a big difference?

My Miata, a 2001 LS originally had the big brakes, but some unscrupulous bastard swapped them with the smaller brakes before I bought the car. This really bugs the A.R. part of my personality that wants everything correct/original (until I mod it ). But the cheap bastard part of my mind wonders if they make a noticable difference in stopping. Anybody have any input? Anyone here driven NB's with the smaller brakes and the larger ones? How did they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey of Death View Post
    My Miata, a 2001 LS originally had the big brakes, but some unscrupulous bastard swapped them with the smaller brakes before I bought the car. This really bugs the A.R. part of my personality that wants everything correct/original (until I mod it ). But the cheap bastard part of my mind wonders if they make a noticable difference in stopping. Anybody have any input? Anyone here driven NB's with the smaller brakes and the larger ones? How did they compare?
    I am far from an expert, but here is what my research has led me to believe...

Big brakes can serve 2 functions:
    1) more braking force
    2) Better cooling

So the question is, do you need either of these things and the answer is that depends. For #1, determine if you can lock up your brakes. If you can, you know that you already have enough braking force. For #2, you look at brake fade. You shouldn't experience brake fade on the street... this will apply more to the track. If you experience fade on the track, you need better cooling to reduce the fade and larger brakes will help you.

Now it is time for an expert to point out where I am wrong.

I'm not an expert, but I do race Miatas, and have never had issues with stock brakes, as long as you are using the correct pads for the application they were designed for. I have never had fade, even with OEM pads. I just have to "adjust" my braking points with them. More often than not, fade comes from boiling fluid rather than the mechanical stuff.

Your car didn't come from, or been "worked on" by Miata Technologies, did it? I've heard that he has used that trick before.....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Having driven '01+ cars with and without the "big" brakes, I think the big brakes are a definite improvement... depending on what you want the car to do. While the smaller brakes do provide decent stopping power, the big brakes feel like they are much less front-biased, which translates into easier threshold braking on non-ABS cars and better modulation under heavy braking.

On the street, you probably won't notice a difference. On the track, you probably will. Are they worth it? You make the call.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    You shouldn't experience brake fade on the street...
    Not an expert... but

It is entirely possible to get brake fade on the street. Granted, most local LEO's don't like people driving on their streets in the manner it takes to do that
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Your car didn't come from, or been "worked on" by Miata Technologies, did it? I've heard that he has used that trick before.....
    DING DING DING... I think we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Ouch... that stinks.

I work with a person that defends Tom to no end...
    Ignorance is bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Hmmmmm... what an insightful bunch of guys! I've never actually said that name in public, have I?

The car alledgedly belonged to someone else and MT was "helping him sell it". In the process, he apparantly helped himself to a great many parts, replacing them with bits from various NA's. I got suspicious and went to Gary, who helped set me straight on what was incorrect with my car. Armed with that, I was able to convince MT to return the car (mostly) back to stock. Got him to do everything except the brakes and fog lights (even longer story on the fogs...). Once I got all that done, I was going to sell it and buy another, but once everything was corrected, I really did like the car. I got a good enough deal on the purchase ($8k for a 2001 LS with 68,000 miles) that I figured if we missed something, I could probably afford to fix/replace it and still come out ahead. Since then, it has been an awesome car and I have Gary to thank for that. In fact, after talking to Gary this week, I think I'm going to upgrade the sway bars. He also has a set of the correct brakes and that's why I'm debating that at the moment. Just had a birthday and sold one of my motorcycle helmets so I've got the spare $$ to have some fun with the car.

So... sway bar and brakes or a roll bar?!?

before i had my 01 LS repo i thought about swapping the big brakes with Bam's smaller ones so they wouldn't go to waste but that never happened... maybe thats the same case with yours. I have had small rotors on my NB before and it did take a longer distance to stop, with the slotted and drilled rotors i noticed all the squeaking from the rain all stopped. Other than that they seem like the OEM big brakes.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

That is just so wrong.......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Great, that means he's done it to others?

And if he's continuing to do it, one would imagine that he gets away with it often enough to keep doing it.

Has he ever gotten caught by anyone else swapping the Torsen with a non-LSD unit? That would be what really tripped him up with me, since I asked specifically if it had the Torsen before I bought it. God bless Gary for catching it!

Anyway, back on topic!
    It sounds like the big brakes have more bite (makes sense...) Fade probably isn't an issue for me as I don't auto-x (maybe someday). I guess it all comes down to if the big brakes can stop me in a shorter distance. We all like to think we're excellent drivers and always prepared, but experiance (here especially) has taught me to never underestimate the stupidity of other people behind the wheel. So, shorter braking = good...

What Merv said is very true and probably the best thing to remember about brakes is having good pads. On the other hand with the same brake pad, there is a noticable improvement with the bigger brakes, at least with the NA. I upgraded my 90 brakes to the larger 97 rotors and am glad considering the amount of track time I get. Over summer I had to throw the old smaller pads/rotors on till my new stuff came in and I really noticed the difference.
    My
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

To add to John's (Monkey of Death) story, he is being too modest; Miata Technology fully known took advantage of John. When John came to visit us he was hearing a wheel bearing sound and an engine bearing sound and wanted us to take a look. When I walked out to the parking lot the very first thing I noticed was the brakes was way to small for an '01, you could not even see the fronts with the factory wheels! I should John the proper rotor for his car and then started the rest of the investigation.

Looking under the car the first obvious was the lack of braces. Most of you know '01+ cars had several center braces and not one was present, not even the U-brace that attaches to the rear end. Then we looked at the differential and sure enough it was a 1.6 rear end, half shafts etc.

Then the question came up about the transmission should it be a 6-speed or a 5-speed? We took his VIN number and called Mazda and sure enough the transmission was swapped to a 5-speed.

Question: If you have been servicing a customer’s car for over a year don't you think you would know that car from top to bottom? And if you are a so called expert in Miatas shouldn't you tell the new customer what is right or wrong about this car?

I am glad John reached satisfaction with Miata Technology, but please;

DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS HAVE MIATA TECHNOLOGY LOOK, TOUCH OR SMELL THEIR MIATA.

I hope this example is another good reason to stay clear of this crook.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Damn! What a crook is right!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog View Post

Gary
    Amen.

Gary
    Dang, has anyone contacted the BBB on these guys?
    Just a thought.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

To add to John's (Monkey of Death) story, he is being too modest; Miata Technology fully known took advantage of John. When John came to visit us he was hearing a wheel bearing sound and an engine bearing sound and wanted us to take a look. When I walked out to the parking lot the very first thing I noticed was the brakes was way to small for an '01, you could not even see the fronts with the factory wheels! I should John the proper rotor for his car and then started the rest of the investigation.

Looking under the car the first obvious was the lack of braces. Most of you know '01+ cars had several center braces and not one was present, not even the U-brace that attaches to the rear end. Then we looked at the differential and sure enough it was a 1.6 rear end, half shafts etc.

Then the question came up about the transmission should it be a 6-speed or a 5-speed? We took his VIN number and called Mazda and sure enough the transmission was swapped to a 5-speed.

Question: If you have been servicing a customer’s car for over a year don't you think you would know that car from top to bottom? And if you are a so called expert in Miatas shouldn't you tell the new customer what is right or wrong about this car?

I am glad John reached satisfaction with Miata Technology, but please;

Gary

Damn, I knew the guy was shady and an idiot but not that big of an ass! Makes me feel dirty since I got some used parts from him a couple yrs ago.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast