Thread: How many Greddy Turbo guys are here?

Default How many Greddy Turbo guys are here?

I am thinking about putting a Greddy on my 91 BRG and was wondering if anyone on the board had one in the DFW area......

Chris

Am I the first to do this, like on the Pointy board????

Please try the search engine... Blah, blah, blah...

I started a thread, asking about FI experts in DFW. It's towards the beginning of this area, easy to find. Some good info there.

I am still interested in this topic, and would like to ride in someone's sometime - (TurboDuane????) Mine is a 92 silver that might make a great example..

Flyin Miata is about to release an Ubercharger... I don't know which way would be best to go, but the Greddy should be the cheapest to start with...
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

You may want to seek out Flyin96M for his FM turbo wisdom, although he was only able to get 238 hp and 212 ft lbs out of it!

Also our own Miatamaniac92 had a Greddy in his Miata before some SOB decided to kill his car in a traffic accident.

I'm leaning towards the supercharged side of FI for our '02 but I saw some very impressive numbers out of the 3 FM turbo cars that were at dyno day!

Well I had the greddy on my former miata. It will be going back on the next miata after I hopefully pick it up this weekend in Austin.

What kinda questions do you have?

How much power are you looking for? (A loaded question, once you taste the darkside....)

Whats your budget look like?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    ... after I hopefully pick it up this weekend ...
    We'll be wanting pictures...

Hey Chris did you buy that sweet silver one in Austin? Man that thing sounded like it was just asking for a turbo
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Basically I want the fastest car anyone has ever been in.
    I want it to be as troublefree as it currently is.
    I want my milage to go up.
    I want to drop it off, and pick it up when it's done.
    I want to beat my friend's 2004 Z06.

I'll get nothing and like it.

Kidding aside, I'm still figuring out what I want. I know some people go FI and regret it, and my car runs so darn good sometimes, I fear that too.

I haven't even been in an SC or turbo yet, so that might be a good place to start... I'm in no hurry yet. It would be ideal to save up and take it to Keith Tanner at Flyin Miata, (another Colorado vacation) and drop it off and have it done by the master. They are developing a supercharger, so there will be more options with them (if it fits 1.6 motors)...
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.

Well you first need to decide what power level you would be happy with, and what your budget is. Figure you budget and then add 10% for crap you didn't think of. Since you have a 1.6 you may want to look at all your options first. Even with a small turbo you will need to upgrade the rear to a torsen from a 1.8. You will also need to adapt as much of the 1.8 chassie bracing as you can to deal with the additional power. Many people will just swap a 1.8 in their car as well since you will have more options once you have done this. You will also need a lager radiator and better clutch. Do these things first as you will need them.

Now if I were you I would just find someone that has already done all this and buy the car from them. I just looked and there is a 93 FMII with 49K miles for just under $10,000 with a hardtop and a bunch of other goodies. I would seriously consider this route.

As for your wish list it is not to far out there, but you will just have to pick a power level and live with it. The more power the more problems. Currently my car is fairly trouble free, but I do have to tinker on it more than I did when it was stock. To me it is a fair trade for the power. Now keep in mind if you beat on the car you WILL break things, exspensive things. That said you can still drive it hard, just don't do drag race launches or dump the clutch. This is only good if you want to boil the tires and get a ticket for exhibition of acceleration If you want a ride I live in Irving and work in Addison, and I'm always looking to scare the crap out of someone new

Oh and your friends Z06 can be beat by a Miata Just remember power to weight. Of course it also comes down to the driver of both cars.

You can have most of what you want like Justin said for the right price.

You need to take a ride in many different FI'd miatas. I don't know anyone locally who has regretted going FI, it's very addictive and contagious :P . Six months after my first ride in the Track Dog and I was hooked!

The decision between turbo and supercharger is ultimatley a matter of personal preference (and budget for the 1.6). For big power, 300 + HP you are pretty well limited to big turbo or completly custom M62, or an engine swap.

If you can't do the install yourself, then I would allow atlest a quarter to half your budget for the right install. Although, with this group's knowledge a couple six packs and pizza would probaly go a long way.

As far as the Ubercharger is concerned, I wouldn't hold my breath. I think they are in their third? year of development.

The best thing about the greddy kit is it is modular, the power output based on how much you wanna spend. It's the best $1K you can spend on a 1.6 miata, power wise.

Justin, didn't get the 5K silver. Too rich for my blood. You're right, all it needed was a turbo. I found a $2k that just needs a paint job and the top off my former miata. I really wanted the other one, but I couldn't justify the $3K extra that I would spend on the car based on my priorities.

Buying another bike, and eventually buying a bigger OTM (Mazda 3,WRX, Evo, or M3) to turn the miata into more of a track btch.

Chris

My ultimate goal is to be able to stop the rotation of earth when I pop the clutch going the opposite direction.... and I want the letter M stricken from the english language.

Seriously, I am a more bang for the buck kind of guy. I have a supercharger on my 2000 miata, but like the idea of getting into a turbo kit for $1200 and being able to dump it on ebay for $800 when Im done. Plus I just like jacking with cars. Most bang for the 1.6 buck seems to be the greddy, which will make more horses than a straight 1.8 swap. With 150k on the motor it would be interesting to see how long it would go. Heck I dont even know if this is the original motor. If I pop it, I can find put a 1.6 takeout in its place.

I have a 302 shoe horned into my 1985 RX-7 GSL-SE and that was an expensive project, that I will most likely never repeat....

I just did the seafoam treatment to the BRG and she smoked real nice, I wish I could have made it to dyno day for a baseline run....

Chris

I'd be glad to give you a ride anytime. Just as others have stated. PLAN on better COOLING, and you will NEED a high performance clutch.

However, I've had my turbo for nearly two years, and haven't lost a rear end yet. I do drag race from time to time, but I don't dump the clutch, as all I'll do is spin anyway. I could use a closed diff though, as I really feel it spin at autox's at at the strip.

Greddy seems like an economical way, but it takes more fabrication work, and the FM was complete kit with only minor things needed. It only took me a few days to put it in. I've never regret'ed putting in the turbo, but I do tinker with it more now than before.

If you decide to do it yourself, there are a few of us around that could help you out. It's a good idea to put your own together, as you then know how it all works, and have a much better idea on how to fix problems.

My Turbo is the BEGI 4.2, which I think has been renamed the FM1. I have a stock computer, and the wastegate is vacume activated and the fuel pressure is handled by a vacume driven pressure regulator. My kit should put about 180h/p to the rear wheel. It feels good, and is a simple setup. ...I sure wish I could have made the dyno day
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

I'd be more than happy to give you a ride in out 99 with the small FM2 kit.

Aaron and I had plan for a Greddy turbo on our first Miata (a red 92) but ended up selling the car for some dumb reason.

ATS is a Greddy dealer, but I don't know the price off the top of my head.

Christin
    99 Miata FM turbo kit 202rwhp
    93 MR2 Turbo 291 rwhp
    04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 180 rwhp

http://www.atsracing.net

1200hp Dynojet 248c

You guys are really going to talk me into this....

I had cash in my pocket about 2 weeks ago and was going to look at a 91 red, with hardtop, supercharger, and 20k miles. Asking price was 5995. The guy said it was pristine and just bought it from his friend who had it for years. He didn't know what kind of supercharger it had. I was getting it if it was close to being as described, but someone beat me to it.

Buying a Miata that is already done is something I consider too. I would like to know more about the FMII 50k miles one that is under $10k...

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    Buying a Miata that is already done is something I consider too. I would like to know more about the FMII 50k miles one that is under $10k...
    Go to Miata.net under the classifieds and look at pre-owned M1's. There were quite a few FI miata's there along with the FMII.

Christin

I would love to come out sometime and get a ride in your miata. I appreciate the invite.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric