Thread: ODBII cars and emissions testing

Default ODBII cars and emissions testing

I was speaking with someone at the dyno day this weekend, and they said that if an ODBII car was not passing codes to the computer doing the emissions test that it could still pass by running it on the dyno like the older cars. I was trying to locate it in emissions testing laws, but cannot seem to locate this. Does anyone else have any insight?

I have been wondreing what people do that have a turbo or supercharger and an alternate ECU that does not enable the OBDII readout? Surely there must be a bypass to the law that allows the car to run the pre OBDII dyno roller test to pass emmissions. Does anybody know for sure? Is there an appeals process written into the law?
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

I think that my memory is coming back.

There was a 96 with a LINK at the dyno day, and I think that he said that Adam was able to provide him a paragraph in the testing rules that basically allowed ODBII equiped cars that were not ouputting codes to be run using the dyno method. I may be mistaken, but maybe someone can chime in an clear this up.

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    There was a 96 with a LINK at the dyno day, and I think that he said that Adam was able to provide him a paragraph in the testing rules that basically allowed ODBII equiped cars that were not ouputting codes to be run using the dyno method. I may be mistaken, but maybe someone can chime in an clear this up.

I would like to know for sure, for future reference

It was I that told you that bit of info. This is somehing that Adam told me about and that he said he had looked up in the rule book. Since this would be much easier than putting the car back to stock I will be looking into this. I will be seeing Adam this week and I may ask him for a copy of that page from the rule book so I have some concrete proof. I will be sure to let you know what I find out.

Brock if I remember right you said you just wanted to use the Link to tune your car in NA form right? If this is right then just get the OBDII Link from FM and when it comes inspection time just plug in the old computer and mas air flow sensor and get it inspected. That shouldn't take more than 15 min since it is ALL plug an play. Mine is a bit more difficult due to the snail and larger injectors.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I've been looking at both the ODBII Link and the AEM, as both of these are direct plugins and don't require cutting the harness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M
    This is somehing that Adam told me about and that he said he had looked up in the rule book. Since this would be much easier than putting the car back to stock I will be looking into this. I will be seeing Adam this week and I may ask him for a copy of that page from the rule book so I have some concrete proof. I will be sure to let you know what I find out.
    Hey Flyin96M, were you able to find out anything on this

What Adam told me was that since the first few years seemed to have problems that this rule was written. So if you have a second generation of the OBDII then you may have a more difficult time, but the 96-97 Miata's should be able to get away with this. I still don't have a photo copy of this yet, but I am working on it.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

96's are pretty much a sure-bet on being allowed a dyno test. 97 *might* be a little less likely to be allowed the dyno test, but could still be possible. 99+ are a no-go, they have to have an OBD port reading.

FWIW, we had a 97 F-150 that wasn't reading from the OBD port just last week, it went on the dyno and passed.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

So basically if one or more of the wires going to the data terminal were to somehow fail could my 97 still possibly pass on the dyno?

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    So basically if one or more of the wires going to the data terminal were to somehow fail could my 97 still possibly pass on the dyno?
    I'd been it would have some issues with you current air fuel ratios!