Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Miatas @ Hallet Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post

I have to agree. Paul H. in the BRG had Jim Erwin as his instructor. Jim races an NSX at Hallett regularly, and I followed them for a couple of laps. I could see Jim pointing and guiding Paul around the track - and your line matches Jim's exactly.

For some reason I had a hard time finding that line through 4 and 10 without someone to follow, but watching your video was like "So THAT's where I ws supposed to be..."

Very nice work, and great video, too!

Craig
    Turn 4 has always been a problem for me. I know there is tons and tons of track out there but I tend to turn in too eary, which screws up turn five big time! Easy worth a second when you do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Turn 4 has always been a problem for me. I know there is tons and tons of track out there but I tend to turn in too eary, which screws up turn five big time! Easy worth a second when you do it right.
    I think Turn 4 is the hardest turn out there. I thank that's the real reason it's called "Dam Turn" they just misspelled it.

That little white square is a great mark for where to turn in. The only problem is, even when I had open track I wasn't accelerating up to braking zone and turning I was costing in going "now where is that little square" and you can't see it until your there.
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

That was definitely the hardest turn for me. Still don't know exactly how/where to brake. I know where to turn in, but have no idea how to scrub enough speed without upsetting the car there. So basically I would be hard on the throttle half-way up the hill, then give up and "coast" over the ridge and try to find a way to brake without tossing out the rear end. I'm sure I lost lots of time there...
    Last edited by miataspeedracer; 10-27-2006 at 10:18 AM.

MIKE, I've gotta say those are some of the best lines I've seen at Hallett! Great driving and you cetainly have learned what makes a Miata fast....maintaining momentum in the turns. Can't say enough for your driving..... What tires were you on? I think I might like to try out those Tien Flex shocks. The car seems very balanced.
    Merv
    Well Merv thanks for the complement. I was using Flaken Azenis 205/50/15. And yes the car is very balanced.
    That was my 5th session ever at Hallett (I snuck out for a 5th with Suzan) and I was just starting to feel comfortable with the track. I was still figuring out turn 4 and I know I can take turn 1 alot faster but I always puckered a bit worrying about grip. The 7 - 8 combo is a real hoot at speed just hope the brakes hold out for the Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    That was definitely the hardest turn for me. Still don't know exactly how/where to brake. I know where to turn in, but have no idea how to scrub enough speed without upsetting the car there. So basically I would be hard on the throttle half-way up the hill, then give up and "coast" over the ridge and try to find a way to brake without tossing out the rear end. I'm sure I lost lots of time there...
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I did get the hang of the 7-8 combo after a couple sessions, and after spinning in 2 early on, I think I got it down pretty well, also. For me, I see two factors that would drop my lap times significantly.

First, naturally, figure out the line in 4 and 10. Second, overcome the
    "pucker factor" in 1 and 4. I'm sure there was more speed to be had there - I'm just not brave enough to find it.

Next time, I think I'll run intermediate. I think my times at the end of the day were fast enough to not be a rolling chicane, and following some faster cars may help with lap times...

Craig
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    I think Turn 4 is the hardest turn out there. I thank that's the real reason it's called "Dam Turn" they just misspelled it.

That little white square is a great mark for where to turn in. The only problem is, even when I had open track I wasn't accelerating up to braking zone and turning I was costing in going "now where is that little square" and you can't see it until your there.
    Ren, the chief instructor, recommended that I I put my outside tire (front left) on the right side of the square when he rode with me. When Gary rode with me, he recommended using the 2 grooves in the turn as the reference point, not the square. If I hugged the inside groove, I wasn't set up for the next transition. If I ran in between the grooves, still not the best. Driving along the outside groove netted the fastest and smoothest turn in.

Glad to hear I'm in sync with everyone else. Turn 2 wasn't an issue for me but I know I was breaking too early. I just had a little bit of drifting out. I actually thought it was a fun turn.

Turn 4 as everyone said is a tough one. I was doing exactly as Speedy said. Accelerating until cresting the hill, then coasting to the white square. (Maybe a tap on the brakes to get the rear end light) The turn in is obvious but difficult to see until you're on it but how do you get the car settled while keeping speed? My last few runs were the smoothest at turn 4 but I don't know how I did it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Turn 1 and turn 10 are my nemesis. I feel good transitions and set up with the car in all the other places, but 1 is like Ricochet at MSR, and I need someone else to show me that the car will hold it. As for 10 I'm just inconsistent.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I got my pics from Clyde. I will definitely order a few of them. They look great! He gets some very good angles from his bucket truck.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I would like a few more trys at the track before next year. Maybe we can get a group together in the Spring. I have no doubt I could be in the intermediate group if I hadn't shifted so much, had someone to follow and just let the car move more with momentum .....but for the first time on a track and being an old fart I was happy.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Turn 1 and turn 10 are my nemesis. I feel good transitions and set up with the car in all the other places, but 1 is like Ricochet at MSR, and I need someone else to show me that the car will hold it. As for 10 I'm just inconsistent.
    Interesting. Turn 1 was one of my favorites. It's a hoot when you hit it just right...

I love Ricochet, you'd think I could get turn 1 right, but I overbrake. Next year, Next year.......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

you'd think I could get turn 1 right, but I overbrake. Next year, Next year.......
    you are not the only one, I felt that if i carried the speed I could then I was going way off on the way to 2
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Quote Originally Posted by Magma View Post
    you are not the only one, I felt that if i carried the speed I could then I was going way off on the way to 2
    Late apex, baby...

I love Ricochet, you'd think I could get turn 1 right, but I overbrake. Next year, Next year.......
    I could have taken turn 1 a lot faster as well.

The in-car video really helps point out your mistakes and places you could have gone faster.

If we had room, I think a TV at the track to go over your last run would be really helpful. Anyone have a 25" LCD TV lying around?
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    I could have taken turn 1 a lot faster as well.

The in-car video really helps point out your mistakes and places you could have gone faster.

If we had room, I think a TV at the track to go over your last run would be really helpful. Anyone have a 25" LCD TV lying around?
    No, But I think there is a 13" tube TV in the closet.

I think the TV would have to be small enough to put behind the passenger seat.
    Skirt

Turn 1 is a sacrificial turn. Nothing to do but take it s-l-o-w. At least that 's what Jim, the AMC member that walked the rack with us told me.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Turn 1 is a sacrificial turn. Nothing to do but take it s-l-o-w. At least that 's what Jim, the AMC member that walked the rack with us told me.
    D you mean turn 2????
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I tink that turn 1 can be had at 75ish on good tires, maybe I am wrong if so someone will tell me soon

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast