Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing the steering wheel and ditching the airbag

Default replacing the steering wheel and ditching the airbag

I know it's not the PC thing to do, but I'd like to replace my airbag steering wheel with a nice regular steering wheel (Momo, Pep Boys, whatever). I've seen hub adaptor kits for this, but I haven't run across the actual steering wheels. Any good sources out there? BTW, this is a dual-purpose mod, as my airbag light is flashing and the module is most likely dead, plus the stock wheel is kinda ratty looking.

how 'bout steeringwheel.com?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm sure JDMClassic, Black Roadster, or Driftdevil could chime in on this one since they have replaced their steering wheels. They are running with everthing between Masdaspeed, Sparco, and Momo.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

The deadness depends on your year of car and the number of flashes. Some can be fixed by replacing some capacitors inside the airbag computer module.

I have a Momo (78 IIRC) steering wheel - the one wrapped in suede. I got mine and the billet hub from OK Miata out of Tulsa. Deb & Larry are great to deal with and have helped me out quite a bit with odd requests - including digging around the parts bins in the shop for some crank pulley parts.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

My favorite vendor is RSpeed. Their hub adapter is plug and play and includes factory air bag wiring harness that connects directly to your factory harness for a very clean install.

I have the Momo Champion which is on sale at a VERY good price. In fact, it looks like all their Momos are on sale. Get the Momo or something along the same quality instead of one of those Pep Boys wheels. You really do get what you pay for.

If you need help installing let me know or if you just want to try out some of the wheels, several of us at the Wednesday night GTG have aftermarket wheels as Nexus Flux said. Miata.net also has instructions.

Remember to take out the slack in the OEM seat belt if you remove the airbag. You'll see a little sewn on "pouch" on the lower half of the seatbelt. You need to cut the pouch off and remove the stitching on the bunched together section of seatbelt.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Don't cheap out on the wheel or especially the adapter hub. I have a Momo Monte Carlo and it is a definitely a great steering wheel for the price.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    My favorite vendor is RSpeed. Their hub adapter is plug and play and includes factory air bag wiring harness that connects directly to your factory harness for a very clean install.

I have the Momo Champion which is on sale at a VERY good price. In fact, it looks like all their Momos are on sale. Get the Momo or something along the same quality instead of one of those Pep Boys wheels. You really do get what you pay for.

If you need help installing let me know or if you just want to try out some of the wheels, several of us at the Wednesday night GTG have aftermarket wheels as Nexus Flux said. Miata.net also has instructions.

Awesome! I'd like to see how that Momo wheel looks and feels before I pop off $300 for one - it definitely looks great on the website. So after I get the wheel swapped, do have any recourse on the airbag light other than to dig into the cluster and pull the bulb out?

If you need help installing let me know or if you just want to try out some of the wheels, several of us at the Wednesday night GTG have aftermarket wheels as Nexus Flux said.
    Where and what time is the Wednesday night thing? I might try to make the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Awesome! I'd like to see how that Momo wheel looks and feels before I pop off $300 for one - it definitely looks great on the website. So after I get the wheel swapped, do have any recourse on the airbag light other than to dig into the cluster and pull the bulb out?
    You can run 3 ten ohm resistors in parallel between the connectors. That will get the light to stop blinking. Their's a write up and wheel install instructions on Miata.net.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    You can run 3 ten ohm resistors in parallel between the connectors. That will get the light to stop blinking. Their's a write up and wheel install instructions on Miata.net.
    If his light is blinking now (With the airbag still attached) the problem may be in another part of the system. Does the flashing follow a pattern? I believe there is a code look-up for it.

The RSpeed hub has connectors to eliminate the warnings of a missing airbag. If you pull the bulb you then get an even more annoying buzzer from deep inside the dash. This is why a good hub is important.

Where and what time is the Wednesday night thing? I might try to make the next one...
    Wednesday night GTG
    When: 9:30pm-12am
    Where: Parking lot at NE Corner of Coit and Park just north of CVS.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The RSpeed hub has connectors to eliminate the warnings of a missing airbag. If you pull the bulb you then get an even more annoying buzzer from deep inside the dash. This is why a good hub is important.
    But you missed the point where he said it was flashing already...

To get rid of that you'll need to pull out the connectors from the airbag computer and the backup power supply then pull the dash apart and remove the bulb.

If you remove the bulb, the airbag computer will beep. If you remove the power connectors from the airbag computer then the bulb will stay on. You need to do both.

On the plus side you can yank out the airbag computer, wiring, sensors, and explosive airbag(s) to save a little weight

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Question

Remember to take out the slack in the OEM seat belt if you remove the airbag. You'll see a little sewn on "pouch" on the lower half of the seatbelt. You need to cut the pouch off and remove the stitching on the bunched together section of seatbelt.

I'm probably wrong, but This
    looks like it has an airbag. Anyone know?
    Skirt

Silver '99, MP62, TDR Intercooler, Tein Flex, Borla Duals, HDHCDD, Oh and chicks dig the kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by scmx5driver View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but This
    looks like it has an airbag. Anyone know?
    Momo used to sell a few steering wheels with airbags in them, but they haven't sold them for a while. I don't believe that is one of them... They were REALLY expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    If his light is blinking now (With the airbag still attached) the problem may be in another part of the system. Does the flashing follow a pattern? I believe there is a code look-up for it.
    It's flashing what I think is a code 13 (one flash, three flashes, pause and repeat). I talked to the service writer at Town North Mazda and he indicated it was either a relay or the module (most likely both). I'm not terribly concerned about fixing it... I just want the light to stop blinking! :)

It's flashing what I think is a code 13 (one flash, three flashes, pause and repeat). I talked to the service writer at Town North Mazda and he indicated it was either a relay or the module (most likely both). I'm not terribly concerned about fixing it... I just want the light to stop blinking! :)
    Hmmm.... Miata.net garage says the codes only go to 10. You may need to follow CM's instructions to get that light off.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    To get rid of that you'll need to pull out the connectors from the airbag computer and the backup power supply then pull the dash apart and remove the bulb.

If you remove the bulb, the airbag computer will beep. If you remove the power connectors from the airbag computer then the bulb will stay on. You need to do both.

On the plus side you can yank out the airbag computer, wiring, sensors, and explosive airbag(s) to save a little weight

RJ

Nardi Competition Wood steering wheel with Finish Line Steering Wheel Hub. I did write up's on Miata.net; not much to read as the install was so easy. I looked for a couple weeks for this wheel, It still makes me smile

See it: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233652
    My old 99' My new 99'
    Remember folks, street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph. ~Jim Samuels

Quote Originally Posted by SilverToy View Post
    Nardi Competition Wood steering wheel with Finish Line Steering Wheel Hub. I did write up's on Miata.net; not much to read as the install was so easy. I looked for a couple weeks for this wheel, It still makes me smile
    Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast