Thread: Help: Installing Header

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

Default Help: Installing Header

Hey guys, how has it been? Well I am in need of alittle advice on removing the stock manifold and installing a new header. Which is the easiest way to do this with out removing the whole motor. Will it be a simple unbolt and remove through the top and install the same? Please any help from experience would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
    Hey guys, how has it been? Well I am in need of alittle advice on removing the stock manifold and installing a new header. Which is the easiest way to do this with out removing the whole motor. Will it be a simple unbolt and remove through the top and install the same? Please any help from experience would be greatly appreciated.
    It comes out in 2 pieces. You need to separate them from under the car, with the lower piece dropping down and the upper have coming out through the engine bay. Be sure to spray all the bolts with PB Blaster several times over at least 24 hours before removal. You will also be much better off with an impact wrench and several different sizes of extensions to get at the bolts that separate the two pieces.

I've taken it out in one piece before. A little more tugging than doing it in 2 pieces, but you don't have to deal with those 3 nuts on the collecter.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Just don't forget the bolt that holds the pipe to the side of the transmission.

Spray everything down with PB Blaster. Next remove that crazy O2 sensor. Then the nuts off the front of the cat then the manifold nuts come off and with that comes the manifold - in one big piece.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

so yall are talking about pulling it out through the top?

It would have to be removed from the top. I don't know how it would be possible to remove it from the bottom.

Definitely soak the two bolts that hold the header to the cat with PB Blaster multiple times! These are a prone to shearing off from rust and age and are worth replacing anyway.

Put the car on jack stands. Be prepared to use a lot of muscle on the bolts on the bracket that connects to the transmission. They were very tight on my car. Had to use swivel impact sockets and 3 extensions to get the right angle and leverage.

Get a buddy to help!! Makes things must easier.

Thank you for everyones wonderful advice, it allowed me to pull and install the new header in about two hours and thirty minutes. The only problems i really ran into were when i was putting the new header on.
    *The one i recieved did not match up 100%, and had to adjust three of the stud holes to fit.
    *Second I was not able to re-atach to the Tranny due to the joining of the header being right there. Should i worry about that or just leave it un attached!
    *Third I had to add an extra two feet of wire to the O2 Sensor to reach the new location.

Lucky I did not have to PB Blast anything, because my parents could not find the can. I will try to post pictures of the install tonight.