Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-season improvements

Talking Off-season improvements

I took the my off Friday to get started on the list of improvements I posted on Mark52's thread. I decided to take a couple of pics as I was working.

You can see some of my favorite tools laying out like the rubber mallet and the breaker bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    ...my favorite tools laying out like the rubber mallet and the breaker bar.
    I have a collection of hammers for just such occasions...

I got some heim-joint sway bar end links from Mazda Motorsports to get rid of the preload on the front bar (still not running a rear bar).

I also shimmed the bushing mounts to allow the sway bar to rotate freely.

All kinds of pretty colors in there:
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    I have a collection of hammers for just such occasions...
    I can attest to that.

I'm also installing some Mazdaspeed motormounts so I took out the header to get to the driver side mount. As you can see from the pic, the stock mount was dead.

While the header was out I decided to modify it (bang on it with a hammer) to clear the tranny bell housing. The rattling was starting to get to me.

I also included a picture of my exhaust for those who haven't seen it. It cost me $70 installed at J's Alignment and Muffler in Grand Prairie. It's just a generic glass pack and a turn down. If you decide to do an exhaust like this I would suggest having the turn down further back b/c it really rumbles in the cabin. I think it sounds really good from the outside, but rattles everything inside.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Last update for today! The brown santa dropped off some new tires last night. Here's a comparison of the 225/45 next to the 205/50. The 225 is also slightly shorter than the 205. These will probably be mounted on my present wheels until the new 15x8s show up. The 205s are getting close to the end of their lives.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I keep an assortment of Monkey Wrenches for use on "special occasions".
    If you can't turn it with a 24" monkey wrench, it just dosen't need to be turned!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Last update for today! The brown santa dropped off some new tires last night. Here's a comparison of the 225/45 next to the 205/50. The 225 is also slightly shorter than the 205. These will probably be mounted on my present wheels until the new 15x8s show up. The 205s are getting close to the end of their lives.
    Let us know how those 225's fit. I've been thinking about using those as well, but am a little worried about front clearance.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    Let us know how those 225's fit. I've been thinking about using those as well, but am a little worried about front clearance.
    I'll take some pics once the tires are on the car. I'm going to hold out for a little bit but the 205s are near the end of their life.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I had a little time to work on the car yesterday so I replaced the passenger engine mount, replaced a old vacuum line, and put the header and intake back on.

Some people on the pointy board and TC seemed to have some trouble with the passenger side engine mount. I removed all of the bolts using multiple extensions from the wheel well. Everything went quick and easy b/c there's not much in the way from this angle. The passenger engine mount was not in 2 pieces like the driver side, but it did have a crack across the entire length.

Up next, installation of a 2002 ABS brake valve to get rid of the severe front brake bias. Once this is done and bleed the brakes, I can get the car down on the ramps and eliminate the preload on the front sway bar.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Up next, installation of a 2002 ABS brake valve to get rid of the severe front brake bias.
    I noticed Flyin Miata is selling a Brake proportioning valve now. Why go with the 2002 ABS valve and not something like what FM is selling?

(Not trying to push an FM product... just trying to learn a little.)

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I noticed Flyin Miata is selling a Brake proportioning valve now. Why go with the 2002 ABS valve and not something like what FM is selling?

(Not trying to push an FM product... just trying to learn a little.)
    The 2002 valve is a direct fit and only cost $15 at Mazda motorsports. Mark52 is using this and has had good results. One more thing is adjustability. It's one more setting for me to mess up if I get the FM valve.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

All kinds of pretty colors in there
    Festive!
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

...One more thing is adjustability. It's one more setting for me to mess up if I get the FM valve.
    Yeah... just the sort of thing that might blow your concentration and cause you to drive over your hard top...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Yeah... just the sort of thing that might blow your concentration and cause you to drive over your hard top...
    I don't run over hard tops.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Hey, there was no green in my T-shirt envelope.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Hey, there was no green in my T-shirt envelope.
    Yeah sorry when we packed the shirts I didnt have any cash on me. PM me your paypal.

Okay, that's it. No more co-drives for you, Sparky.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast