Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350Z Has Slowly Become Quite Nice

Default 350Z Has Slowly Become Quite Nice

Nissan has tweaked the 350Z yet again for the 2007 model year.

Notice the new power dome hood:

Engine output is now rated at 306hp, but dynos of this engine in other 2007 models indicate it's actually putting out 15-20hp more than last year. And the redline has been raised to a rather heady 7500 rpm.

Is it just me or is the Z quietly becoming one of the more desireable mid-priced sport coupes? No offense, Iain, but if it were this or the RX-8 for similar money it would probably be no contest (for me).

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Is it just me or is the Z quietly becoming one of the more desireable mid-priced sport coupes?
    It's just you.

Still not a very attractive car... I'd prefer the G35 coupe.

It looks great and makes great sounds but how does it drive? Power isn't everything, we own Miatas we appreciate great handling cars.

I do miss the torque of my M3, but stock for stock I'd take a RX-8 over an E36 M3 anyday. Even though the M3 is a more powerful car.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Meh, it's still a fatty, they added power to compensate for it's lard butt.

But I would take the G35 coupe if someone gave me one for free!

I'd stay away from the RX8 it seems to draw the "special" crowd.....

No offense, Iain, but if it were this or the RX-8 for similar money it would probably be no contest (for me).

S.
    Street prices have them a ways from similar money. Town North is offering $6000 off + another $1000 with their financing for an '06 GT and those discounts come off of the S-Plan price if you qualify. That puts you around $22k for a GT.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Meh, it's still a fatty, they added power to compensate for it's lard butt.
    +1

I'd rather have a G35 sedan 6-speed. Bit more weight, way more practicality.

The Z is a FUN car to drive but I wouldn't own one. If you think the blind spots on a Miata are big, wait till you drive one of these.

Plus the tire pressure sensors are very finicky. They will flash up errors showing you have a tire going flat when they are all just fine.

I had one as a rental car back in October in San Jose for a week.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

being that my first car was a 76 280z i'd take one in a heartbeat
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

No offense, Iain, but if it were this or the RX-8 for similar money it would probably be no contest (for me).

S.
    No offense taken. I've driven an older 350Z hard, and I quite liked it. The VQ engine is a gem, and the torque is delicious, but you could really feel the weight when you drove it hard - it just didn't want to change direction quickly at all. I even happen to like the looks of the 350Z... at least, everything but the bulbous and poorly defined rear end.

That said, my criteria ruled them out when I went new car shopping. No back seat, and the trunk is pretty useless with the rear strut tower brace. The "silly putty" (viscous) LSD is basically a once-a-season maintenance item with hard use. Add in the fact that the country's top B Stock 350Z driver (Carter Thompson, 2nd at Nats this year) recently sold his car and bought an RX-8, and there really wasn't any comparison for me.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'd stay away from the RX8 it seems to draw the "special" crowd.....
    Jealousy will get you nowhere...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

350Z FTL

G35 Coupe FTW
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

With the tremendous aftermarket support that the 350Z has, I would love to own one.

That new front end with the headlights looks much nicer. Happy to see that the factory is giving some power for the weight.

I owned a 1990 300ZX. The car was heavy, but it handled like a much lighter car, and had a great powerband.

I've yet to drive a 350Z.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    350Z FTL

G35 Coupe FTW
    Just because one has a back seat? Or is it the styling? I would much rather have the Z. It's cheaper, more focused, and faster. Unless you really need the back seat, the only thing to recommend the G35 is the styling.

It's amazing to be that so many people beat up the Z for being heavy. It weighs 3,200 lbs. The RX-8 is 3,050. Not a massive difference there.

S.

It's amazing to be that so many people beat up the Z for being heavy. It weighs 3,200 lbs. The RX-8 is 3,050. Not a massive difference there.

S.
    Funny - mine tipped the scales at Nationals in the mid 2800s, and there ain't that much weight that can be removed from a B Stock RX-8 (no spare, needs more fuel in the tank to prevent starvation, etc.)

Frankly, I'm not as concerned with listed curb weight as I am with how heavy a car feels when you're driving it. An Evo weighs about as much as a 350Z, but it darts into corners and changes directions with aplomb. So much that the first time I drove one hard I hit the 1st two slalom cones I encountered with the inside corner of the car - the car turned in much more quickly than any other box-stock street car I'd ever driven. It was eager to change directions.

The 350Z is not. Sure, it'll outslalom your grandma's Camry, but it requires a lot more input at the helm, and it responds in a much more numb fashion. Driving a 350Z through a slalom, I got a definite feeling of heft - if the Evo transitions like a car 500 pounds lighter, then the 350Z is the opposite. It just isn't in a hurry to change directions.

Don't get me wrong - I really like the 350Z. But I've driven it at the limits against most of the cars in the same price/performance bracket, and while it has some great strengths, being nimble is not one of them.
    Iain

I've yet to drive one to see how poorly they are, but I haven't read anything in any car mag that would make me believe otherwise. The G35 is sexy compared to the "bulbous and poorly defined rear end" on the 350! And the fugly long rectangle reflectors in the bumpers clash with the bubblyness of the cars design IMO. Round car with giant rectangle grill/markers is plain ugly...possible proof of long term affects from radiation I assume. You would think with the power it has and the price there would be better performance numbers, oh well just choose a cheaper and/or older car for that.

Oh yeah, Nissan is also the only Asian car company to make the least-reliable lists for Consumer Report on 06-07 models!

Just my
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

S.
    You just make this stuff up as ya go???

Nissan.com shows the weight of the Track version at 3400 lbs. and the base car comes in at 3339 lbs.

You just make this stuff up as ya go???
    Hey, the President does it so why can't I?

S.

Talking

S.
    Not even VTEC can save you now!

Not even VTEC can save you now!

That's the interior of a MINI, genius.

S.

That's the interior of a MINI, genius.

S.
    Apparently he just makes this stuff up as he goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast