Thread: Overheating & Oil Pressure Switch

Chassis Designer

Default Overheating & Oil Pressure Switch

is overheating a common problem with the Miata I have seen a lot of articles on new fans ,pull T-stat ,carry water and so forth anmnd so on
    Am planning a trip of about 400 miles in ours
    Do I need to be concerned with this issue and really take extra stuff
    Just did a head on this one

The only time I've ever had overheating issues on mine was during heavy track or autocross use in mid-summer, or when towing the 400-lb autocross trailer home with the a/c on in mid-summer. In addition, I haven't had a repeat of these problems since I recently flushed the radiator, replaced the cap, and replaced the t-stat.

However, the t-stat and the radiator cap on these cars do tend to go bad more often than with some other cars, so replacing them annually isn't a bad idea.

I personally wouldn't worry about overheating on a road trip, even at this time of year.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

How is the radiator is clean, did you change the coolant when it was getting worked on? I had problem with mine running way too rich with a faulty thermostat in it since the computer kept thinking it was cold. My gas mileage actually increased with a thermostat!

Does it tend to run warm ever like over 1/2 way on the gauge?

Chassis Designer

Default overheating

When I had the head done ,went ahead and put new factory water pump on ,new T-stat, and gaskets ,and anti freeze. The radiator looks good and the coolant that came out looked pretty clean .
    I have not had a chance to really run it with the new head as I need a throttle position sensor {will have tomorrow } and will have to find out why the fans do not come on . I am not sure how they work yet , but if I have to can hook them up and leave them on full time { tell me if I can't do this}
    while I am here where can I get an oil sending unit ,mine has a guage in the dash and when you turn on the key the guage goes up as soon as u start the engine then the guage drops to zero. I took the wire off of sending unit and guage goes up if I short it to ground it goes to zero is my sending unit bad ? the send unit is a big ole round monster and can 't find one locally is it a dealer item only
    Thanks for the help

There's a thread around somewhere that lists the correct VDO gauge (may require needle re-positioning). NAPA supposedly carries them. It requires an adapter to go in the hole.

Sounds like a bad sender unit to me.

Or, a number of us have spare "idiot" senders lying around since we recently "upgraded" to real senders.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Or, a number of us have spare "idiot" senders lying around since we recently "upgraded" to real senders.
    Didn't they quite the real oil pressure gauge around 1994? It's more of an idiot light only using a needle on the newer cars.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I had problem with mine running way too rich with a faulty thermostat in it since the computer kept thinking it was cold.
    Was it a t-stat or a temp sensor? If it was the t-stat. then it probably was cold all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I had problem with mine running way too rich with a faulty thermostat in it since the computer kept thinking it was cold.
    Was it a t-stat or a temp sensor? If it was the t-stat. then it probably was cold all the time.
    Yep it was the t-stat luckily it was stuck open!

Chassis Designer

Default overheating

Would be glad to pay for one if someone has an extra .I think that it probably is just a glorified light ,but for the time being anything beats what I have .
    I live down in Midlothian which is just south of Dallas could come up tomorrow night or any where in the area and get it will change out dwn the road probably for a real guage

Default Re: overheating

Quote Originally Posted by doc
    Would be glad to pay for one if someone has an extra .I think that it probably is just a glorified light ,but for the time being anything beats what I have .
    I live down in Midlothian which is just south of Dallas could come up tomorrow night or any where in the area and get it will change out dwn the road probably for a real guage
    I have one it's off of a 2002 Miata, my digital camera is at work so I'll get you a picture of what I have in the AM.

Some of us chaged the senders!

Chassis Designer

Default overheat

thanks very much will the 2002 fit the 96 1.8 or will I have to make some changes to make it work
    Is there any special reason why the guages are changed out ,I could see it if I were going to race it or something but for day to day and trips would I need to
    Last should I be posting these questions somewhere else on here

Default Re: overheat

thanks very much will the 2002 fit the 96 1.8 or will I have to make some changes to make it work
    I have no ideal that's why I'll post a picture for ya!
    Is there any special reason why the guages are changed out ,I could see it if I were going to race it or something but for day to day and trips would I need to
    I plan to add a supercharger to the 2002 when funding is available, and it will someday run an autocross and maybe a track day!
    Last should I be posting these questions somewhere else on here
    Nope Miata tech is what this appears to be to me!

Numbers stamped on the sensor P.25 4.10- 2P1N U8

That would work w/ the 96, FWIW :)
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Chassis Designer

Default overheating

moved this to a new topic Oil sending unit
    Pos thanks for doing this the pics are nice read my new post
    There are two and really I guess three different sending units one a miata
    1. is for a guage that is on and off like a light
    2. is a small sender making it an oil guage .
    3. is a big one like I have that is for making it an oil guage
    Adam can you shed some light on this sure hope you can
    Thanks

Default Re: overheating

moved this to a new topic Oil sending unit
    Pos thanks for doing this the pics are nice read my new post
    There are two and really I guess three different sending units one a miata
    1. is for a guage that is on and off like a light
    2. is a small sender making it an oil guage .
    3. is a big one like I have that is for making it an oil guage
    Adam can you shed some light on this sure hope you can
    Thanks
    There's no more light to shed.

The sender POS offered you is an on/off light. It will work. Don't listen to Mazda.

The VDO sender previously referenced makes it a "real gauge" for about $45 from NAPA. It will work. Don't listen to Mazda.

Moderator moment! I'm cutting and pasting this from another post that I shut down.
    Talked to parts and service of a Mazda dealer and was told that a 2002 sending unit will not work , and that my sending unit by it being big was changed out to make the gauge a real gauge .
    I guess that I need a sending unit that is small but still is for a gauge or a big sending unit that makes the gauge a real oil pressure gauge
    If any of you can clear this mass confusion up I would really appreciate it

The sending unit I have is pretty big and I have a feeling it is bad but not sure how to test it to know what to get