Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock Flywheel Question - Clutch Shutter

Default Stock Flywheel Question - Clutch Shutter

Since the Mini project has kick up a CEL, I'm thinking about having the clutch changed in the '02.

The car has always suffered from the dreaded clutch shutter issue but we were not willing to let some hack Mazda Dealer "correct" the problem.

(Our local dealer couldn't even change a radio in it with out screwing up several other items! )

Thankfully the lovely Vivid can deal with the shudder issue, she tends to slip the tires more than the clutch.

From my lurking at Miata.net the flywheel may or may not have been part of the shudder issue depending on who's post you read. So I'm thinking a new OEM flywheel may or may not help eliminate any possible future issues.

So here are my questions:
    1. Is the flywheel the same in all '99 - '05 Miatas??
    2. What do you feel cause the shudder issue, was it the clutch pack, was it the flywheel, or was it both??

TIA

From what I read it was just the clutch. I don't remember anyone replacing the flywheel but I do remember that my clutch shook like a recovering crack whore going through withdrawals before it was replaced.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    From what I read it was just the clutch. I don't remember anyone replacing the flywheel but I do remember that my clutch shook like a recovering crack whore going through withdrawals before it was replaced.
    Run across a lot of recovering crack whores in your line of work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    Ya happen to still have the invoice with all the nice Mazda p/n on it by any chance???

I've read where a couple got flywheels, and I have read where other still have the same issue after the clutch change. Seems a bit random.....

Thought of another question!

Did you Mazdaspeed kids get an upgraded clutch as part of the NB Mazdaspeed Miata????

According to the specs it was a upgraded shot peened clutch on the MSM.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

@ 17k they replaced both the clutch and flywheel on mine. It fixed it for a while
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    According to the specs it was a upgraded shot peened clutch on the MSM.
    I thought that was the gears in the transmission that were shot peened.

Would shot peening even help on a flywheel??

No mention of flywheel treatment:

"The improvements move on down the powertrain, with the 6-speed manual transmission benefiting from a shot-peened treatment to the gears plus a strengthened clutch, propeller shaft and rear end. Even the already legendary shift linkage has been improved."

You are correct, gears not clutch are shot peened, only mentioning a strengthened clutch.

LINK

The clutch is much stronger. Most owners seem to report no issues with slippage. FM says that the stock clutch in their car holds 265hp. Magma had slipping issues with his, but he was having those before he really started upping the boost which makes me suspect his was abnormal. The stock NB clutch is known to start slipping once over 150hp.

Sorry POS....no Mazda clutch part # as it was replaced with an ACT Stage 2 and Fidanza flywheel (Happy Meal).
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Chassis Designer

On my '01 I always felt like it was a torsional vibration / mode that was poorly damped. I wonder what would happen if you tried to dampen the mode by installing the stiffer mazdaspeed engine mounts on one side only.
    Warning - No numbers were crunched while developing this SWAG.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    The clutch is much stronger. Most owners seem to report no issues with slippage. FM says that the stock clutch in their car holds 265hp. Magma had slipping issues with his, but he was having those before he really started upping the boost which makes me suspect his was abnormal. The stock NB clutch is known to start slipping once over 150hp.

Abnormal car or driver? Just razzin' Magma. But still a legit question.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

So Mazdaspeed kids do your cars have an upgraded clutch??

Looking at p/n looks like the '99 and '02 share the same flywheel part number...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    So Mazdaspeed kids do your cars have an upgraded clutch??

Looking at p/n looks like the '99 and '02 share the same flywheel part number...
    Did you look at the P/N for an '04 MSM?

Did you look at the P/N for an '04 MSM?
    Stuff I have access to does not appear to show any difference on a '04, but I don’t know if it’s accurate.

Stuff I have access to does not appear to show any difference on a '04, but I don’t know if it’s accurate.
    Hey Sparky, you got a phone? I bet the parts counter guy at Town North would be able to answer your question. They even have a toll free number... (866)308.8830.

Hey Sparky, you got a phone? I bet the parts counter guy at Town North would be able to answer your question. They even have a toll free number... (866)308.8830.
    Meh.... I just want to add it to my cart on Mazdaspeed!

Plus my experience with local Mazda parts counter folks has been unsatisfactory.

Meh.... I just want to add it to my cart on Mazdaspeed!

Plus my experience with local Mazda parts counter folks has been unsatisfactory.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast