Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers Edge in Feb at MSR??

Default Drivers Edge in Feb at MSR??

I want to get more time on a track but feel I need to boost the learning curve. I noticed that the Apex Driving Academy does not have the December BYOC school so this is the next opportunity I believe. Is it worth the money?
    Last edited by Tim the Teacher; 12-18-2006 at 01:35 PM.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher View Post
    I want to get more time on a track but feel I need to boost the learning curve. I noticed that the Apex Driving Academy does not have the December BYOC school so this is the next opportunity I believe. Is it worth the money and is it a two day event?
    2.5 day event, and it is very good. I did it 2 years ago, had a blast, and learned a ton. It starts out Friday night with a classroom session, then you go back and forth between track and classroom all day Saturday and Sunday. As a semi-newbie, you will be given an instructor for the day Saturday. You then may or may not be signed off for solo on Sunday. Even if you are signed off for solo, you can request an instructor for day 2 as well.

Did you drive back and forth to the track or get somewhere close to stay? It's a long drive from Frisco.

Did you drive back and forth to the track or get somewhere close to stay? It's a long drive from Frisco.
    We Motel 6ed it. The Friday night meeting runs from 8 to 9pm, and you need to be back at the track at 7am Saturday morning. This makes a hotel Friday night almost mandatory. You could likely get away with running back home Saturday night, as you are done by 5:30pm, but we stayed at Motel 6 both nights.

Anyone else up for it?

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

How much is it?

Anyone else up for it?
    I will be doing a TDE event in '07, but it likely won't be this one.

$295 for the event...8 track sessions

I would most likely say that i'm in. I can always afford track time!

I did the MSR last spring. I may do it again with the new track.
    Gabriel

I might be in for this one. Depends on what the schedule brings, since another trip to Wyoming is looming in my future.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

That would be great to do this with someone I know. I am going to call tomorrow and see what the numbers are so far. I don't want to wait too long to give them the registration fee.

Where is Keith V. to reply on this? Does he check this site much? I am trying to see if he has some ways to get me a 2seat SM for some track day instructions from my good race licensed friend. He is DAMN AMAZING on the street, and has finished first in 67 of his 81 started events. He is the guy who took my STOCK (GC and Konis only mods, 98whp) from 14th to 2d (1st was the only one who knew the route) in a backroads cruise near Sherman. Other cars were a few 400+whp Eclipses, a 944Turbo, 3 EVOs, and a C5 Vette.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Driver's Edge puts on a decent event

I've done 2 of them in the Z06

only sort of gripe is some people's cars don't come equipped with mirrors and they never seem to get yelled at for creating a parade lap

Driver's Edge typically has 4 run groups and you get assigned based upon your experience

normally, you start lower down (slower, more instruction including instructor riding with you) until they have a comfort level with your abilities

I like that

I work for Apex and if you want a one day event, I'd recommend them too

they typically only have 2 groups -- novice and grad -- and if you haven't run with them before and don't have anyone vouching for you, you are in novice the first time you run with them

grad group typically gets 6 sessions in the one day event
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    Driver's Edge puts on a decent event

I've done 2 of them in the Z06

only sort of gripe is some people's cars don't come equipped with mirrors and they never seem to get yelled at for creating a parade lap

Driver's Edge typically has 4 run groups and you get assigned based upon your experience

normally, you start lower down (slower, more instruction including instructor riding with you) until they have a comfort level with your abilities

I like that

I work for Apex and if you want a one day event, I'd recommend them too

they typically only have 2 groups -- novice and grad -- and if you haven't run with them before and don't have anyone vouching for you, you are in novice the first time you run with them

grad group typically gets 6 sessions in the one day event
    What does Apex charge for a weekend? I am trying to get as much seat time as possible. I will be at the Feb event with TDE with several others from Tyler (as usual).
    Alan

This sounds interesting. Tell me more... linkie??
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Hey Iain, I'd certainly be interested in joining you guys if you're going out there. I'd like to meet more of the local Miata owners, even if my track car isn't a Miata! The only problem is that I'm not sure if the new engine will be ready by then. If not, I can run the one in the car now, but it seems to be burning more than its fair share of oil

I've done a few TDE events, and I think they're fairly well run. Certainly worth the money, IMO. I ran with them at MSRC a couple of months ago, and they ran the long course, which was quite a bit of fun. They offer good instruction, and plenty of track time. You don't have a choice as to what run group your in, but be wary. Sometimes there is a large speed differential within run groups. I was running over people in blue, and some people in yellow. Most of yellow was around the same pace I was running, but there were certainly people in yellow (in much faster cars) that would eat my lunch easily. :) Don't be afraid to tell your instructor you'd like to move up a group if you're being held up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I might be in for this one. Depends on what the schedule brings, since another trip to Wyoming is looming in my future.
    Billy
    98 Prelude - track car
    Former 99 Miata owner

at Apex, if you are experienced, you will get 6 sessions in the one day deal

price now is $195 for the one day

TDE charges (I think) $275 for a two day, and you get 4 track sessions per day, or a total of 8 over two days

so if you think of $ per session, Apex is very slightly cheaper and no hotel expense or driving from home to MSR twice
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

I've never been to an Apex event. I'll have to look into it. :)

TDE is $275 for two days. NASA is $200 for two days, and you usually get more track time with NASA than TDE. NASA does charge a bit more for TWS, though.
    Billy
    98 Prelude - track car
    Former 99 Miata owner

You might ask Todd at TOPP Racing (in the new big bldg.) who to talk to about renting an overnite room upstairs.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast