Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Motorsports

Default Mazda Motorsports

Hello, I recently bought my miata, and it needs a couple things before it can go to the auto-x

I need new

front brake pads
    Oxygen Sensor
    Plugs

Naturally, being a cheap bastard I want these parts for the cheapest price.
    I know to be a member of Mazda Motorsports you have to have at least 2 reports of racing your mazda. However, If a member could check the prices they have on these items, I would highly appreciate, it. I want to see how much mazda motorsports can save me.

Also, for the o2 sensor, are aftermarket ones as good as oem? I want the most performance/dollar, and if the aftermarket ones are as good and cheaper, I want that one. I am running so rich I am only getting 16 mpg, and my plugs are very fouled. If someone could reccomend me some plugs too, I would be obliged.

(700kb image, comments appreciated)
    http://www.birdbathpoet.com/spark1.JPG
    Tadpole - 94 black/tan with racing beat type 2 front bumper, Yokohama es100

NGK Plugs are cheaper local they are $3.00 a piece (plus shipping) from Mazda Motorsport.

Does the '94 use a one wire O2 sensor like my '92? Or is a 4 wire unit??

Holy Shit!
    I just called the dealership and they quoted me

Plugs - $8.40
    Front brake pads - $70.90
    and Oxygen Sensor - $213.55

Thats alot of damage to the wallet

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    NGK Plugs are cheaper local they are $3.00 a piece (plus shipping) from Mazda Motorsport.

Does the '94 use a one wire O2 sensor like my '92? Or is a 4 wire unit??
    Wow, thanks for the fast reply

Im guessing its a complicated 4 wire unit.
    I read a great article in Grassroots Motorsports, comparing narrowband (OEM) sensors to Wideband sensors, so I asked him if the sensor was wideband at that cost, and he said he had no idea.

[edit] Maybe I can get one from a junkyard? I have to get some other stuff anyways, but i dont think i would be able to test it. Any suggestions? [/edit]

Have have you replace the spark plug wires yet? Those plugs looked well used! #3 looks like it's not firing all the time!

No I have not replaced the plugs, I know I need to. The plug wires look like brand new NGK blues though. any suggestions on the plugs?

And even if i do change the plugs, I need to find out why im running soo rich, is there anyway to test an o2 sensor, aside from putting in a new one?

did you see my junkyard comment I edited in?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin the Great
    No I have not replaced the plugs, I know I need to. The plug wires look like brand new NGK blues though. any suggestions on the plugs?
    I just put a set of Motorcraft Double Platinum in mine this week. They looked cool so I bought them, and the parts guy said they were better than the Bosch platinums I had in it.

BTW. The wires can look like new and still be trash!
    And even if i do change the plugs, I need to find out why im running soo rich, is there anyway to test an o2 sensor, aside from putting in a new one?
    Do you have a multimeter, you can mesure the output voltage on it! But if it’s bad it should kick the check engine light if it’s operating out of range.
    did you see my junkyard comment I edited in?
    Yes and I ignored it! :P

These guys have darn good pricesw (and no sales tax) http://www.trussvillemazda.com/PartsStore/

...any suggestions on the plugs?
    I went the CB way and bought mine from Vato-Zone... (the el cheapo's with the life-time replacement deal). So what I do now, is every 3k with my oil change, I change out the wires. It pisses the counter manager off but I say f'em if they don't like it.... hell, it was their deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I went the CB way and bought mine from Vato-Zone... (the el cheapo's with the life-time replacement deal). So what I do now, is every 3k with my oil change, I change out the wires. It pisses the counter manager off but I say f'em if they don't like it.... hell, it was their deal!
    Your talking wires or plugs 3bean??

Can you remember how much it cost? And what kind of gas mileage do you get?

The NA6's where one wire ones. Get a generic Bosch one from any local parts store (NAPA) and splice it into the old one. Make sure you leave plenty of extra wire.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Your talking wires or plugs 3bean??
    I meant as for the wires... sorry!

And what kind of gas mileage do you get?
    It does better on gas than my Expedition and that's good enough for me!

I've heard you give off better gas than your Expedition. :P

I recently got the Generic Bosch from Vato-Zone. I think that it was like $50 or something. Much better than the dealership cost or the one from the same place that had the connector already wired. I'm still trying to find time to put it in along with the following: header, CAS O-ring, timing belt, water pump, thermostat, plugs, plug wires, ...

My plan is to crimp or solder some sort of quick release ends onto the ends of the generic O2 sensor and the wiring harness for the original sensor after I cut the old on off.

Maybe one or more of these could fix the problem of my car running rich. Unfortunately I don't see much of it finding its way onto the car until September.

I've heard you give off better gas than your Expedition. :P

But the Miata was never a fuel-efficient beast. The rating for it in 1994 were:

MPG (city) 22 / MPG (highway) 27

Quote Originally Posted by brock
    My plan is to crimp or solder some sort of quick release ends onto the ends of the generic O2 sensor and the wiring harness for the original sensor after I cut the old on off.
    That actually sounds like a great idea... perhaps I can also try it on VW... that damn thing has 4 O2 sensors...

Go with a after market O2 sensor. I need to look thur my records to find the site Iused for the B2200 truck we had. Dealer price was 127+ and the net direct replacement was like 30. If I can find the bill I will post the site. It was though a single wire O2
    one ninty two for events
    and one for the street

I found the O2 sensor yesterday when we jacked the car up. You can see it throught the front driver side wheel well. It was definately a 4 wire unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast