Thread: Weak link...

Default Weak link...

Well, I was driving dad's 03' yesterday, 257hp, and got on it at about 45mph, in 3rd gear. The tranny is shot. It just made a loud noise and I nursed it home in 3rd. Now dad gets to add a transmission swap to the many projects he already has going. He was with and says it would've broken if he was driving it too. Oh well.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Talking

Sounds like you and your dad need to take some lesson from BoostedNB (490HP on the original transmission)

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedNB View Post
    nope. Im running all stock miata drivetrain parts. I have not broken anything yet. Knock on wood. I have been launching the car at 5000 rpm too. I think that the miata drivetrain is underrated. Im sure it will go eventually, but I have been drag racing the car now for about a year, and havent broken anything.

Was this a 5-speed, or 6? I have heard of countless dead 5-speed stories, but I have yet to hear of someone killing a 6-speed. Are you the first?

The first 4k miles of the cars life it was in Mazda employees hands (boosted the whole time). We think it must've been ragged on a bit, because I wasn't really on it hard when it let loose. It's got just shy of 10k on it now. Yes, it was a 5 speed. Fortunately he has another to install, so it's just a matter of him getting around to fixing it.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

You need to find a wrecked MSM and get the transmission out of it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    You need to find a wrecked MSM and get the transmission out of it.

RJ
    Dad drove a 6-speed with an M62 on the One Lap and didn't like it at all. He'll keep it a 5-speed. Aren't all MSM's 6-speeds?
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Yep, gone through 3 of them. Get use to it. Sharpy, how did he eliminate the VVT? Think your dad would know? If so I would like to call him.

Thanks, hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

The Quaife gear set is available now and looks to be a lot stronger. FM is in the process of testing one.

Pro MX-5 is changing all the cars back to 5-speeds for the 2007 season, so I guess Mazda isn't too happy with the life of the 6-speed either.....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    Pro MX-5 is changing all the cars back to 5-speeds for the 2007 season, so I guess Mazda isn't too happy with the life of the 6-speed either.....
    You buy yours yet?

Quote Originally Posted by trackdog View Post
    Yep, gone through 3 of them. Get use to it. Sharpy, how did he eliminate the VVT? Think your dad would know? If so I would like to call him.

Thanks, hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Gary
    We did have a Merry Christmas, it was the first time the whole family has been together in at least 3 years.

The VVT is still enabled. He's running a Link piggy back right now so the stock ECU controls it. He's pretty sure the Hydra will control it, when he goes that route. Guess that project will have to wait until he puts in the new tranny. I'll PM you his phone #'s. He said you can call anytime.

I hope your family had a great Christmas too, along with everyone else reading this thread.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 12-27-2006 at 10:32 PM.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles