Thread: Synthetic Oil & Other Goodies @ PepBoys

Default Synthetic Oil & Other Goodies @ PepBoys

If anybody's interested, PepBoys has online coupons for Techron 12oz. concentrate and also Pennzoil or Quaker State Synthetic Oil. Techron is buy one ($7.99) get one free. Oil offer is buy 6 qts @ 4.49 ea. = $26.94.

Using the rebate form = 15.00 on oil which makes it 1.99 qt. The Techron also has an additional 2.00 rebate each as well. That makes the Techron 3.00 each.

Yeah, rebates are a hassle, but PepBoys' is relatively easy and they have always paid on those I've sent in.

They also have another coupon for 5.00 off a 30.00 purchase, which the cashier was going to ring up as well until the manager came up behind her and said it couldn't be used at the same time as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    If anybody's interested, PepBoys has online coupons for Techron 12oz. concentrate and also Pennzoil or Quaker State Synthetic Oil.
    Hopefully, you're not getting the Pennzoil, right?

Pennzoil Quaker State has been one and the same company for over four years, owned by Shell Oil.

Pennzoil Quaker State has been one and the same company for over four years, owned by Shell Oil.
    Ahhh, good info.

Interesting... my father-in-law had always told me that Pennzoil had very little detergents in it and let to sludge, while Quaker state had a ton of detergents and left things looking much nicer. I wonder what the combined company puts out? On the other hand, the FIL is a crack-pot and likely full of .

Funny. I always heard just the opposite, that Quaker State was bad, and Pennzoil was good. Not interested in opening up an oil debate, just wanted to alert anybody who might be interested. Personally, I think that when it comes to synthetics, any major brand name should be alright.

Or there are the non-TCB alternatives like Mobil 1 Extended Perf, Amsoil, and Royal Purple.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I used to work for QS before they merged with Pennzoil. All the stuff comes out of the same drum and is put in different bottles. When is the last time you really saw an 'oil related' breakdown, not counting lack of.

FWIW, speaking of oil related breakdowns...they have a 10 year 250,000 mile engine warranty on their website, provided you start using it within 4 yrs or 36K miles. Guess that leaves me out, starting at 155K!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    When is the last time you really saw an 'oil related' breakdown, not counting lack of.
    1.5 years ago. Sludge buildup clogged the system and the engine lost oil pressure. The guy ran the generic $1.09 gas-station stuff made for 1940's flatheads and changed it maybe once a year.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Quote Originally Posted by boisking View Post
    1.5 years ago. Sludge buildup clogged the system and the engine lost oil pressure. The guy ran the generic $1.09 gas-station stuff made for 1940's flatheads and changed it maybe once a year.
    I think it was the frequency of the oil changes and not the oil itself. If you change the oil and filter frequently, I would guess most oil would be sufficient on daily drivers.

Race cars, different story.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)